Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Railing Refinish

Well, unfortunately there is more to the story. Ordered the awlwood from Hamilton Marine, normally a great source, and the website indicated it was in stock. 5 day go by and not a peep, so I call, and I'm assured it is in stock, but at one of their other locations and in route to their shipping point, and to call back Tuesday... so I do, and now told they don't have it and no ETA on when they might! Geez Louisee! I get not wanting to lose a sale, but really.. so cancelled the order, and ordered from Defender, and they indicated it is in stock and 0 back ordered... so 10 days lost..

I used to use epiphanies high gloss varnish for years on my sailboat which had teak everything, everywhere. So a lot of varnish. Then I had a neighbour who did his boat with " Marine Master " varnish from Ace Hardware and I laughed at him when the put it on, and called him a cheapskate. It looked as good as my expensive high end product, and he paid $30 a gallon to my $50 a quart. Oh and with the cheap stuff no sanding between coats. I am getting about 18 months before any kind of break down with the Ace product. It is awesome. I just re coated the rail on my 61 cpmy after almost two years and it looks great again. Using teak oil is a waste of time is will just wash off and you will end up varnishing anyway.

PO started to sand and refinish rails using spar urethane (Not to be confused with polyurethane). Sanded rails down to bare wood, sanded any damaged areas until black was gone. Wiped with lacquer thinner and allowed to dry thoroughly, then applied 1st coat. Light sanding, 2nd coat... light sanding, 3rd coat, looks like new wood. Spar urethane is very forgiving and has high UV resistance per manufacturer.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Angry Re: Railing Refinish

Back on the railing project. This is the 1st coat of Awlwood clear gloss. Don't plan on reusing brushes, and the working time of this stuff is way short. I'm going to reduce the next coat 10%. The primer is very thin, watery and recoat time is about 24 hours. A little goes a long way with this product. I'm planning on 8 coats, and I'm guessing 1 quart just might do it.
    Attached Images

5. Re: Railing Refinish

Great Job. Protect wooden parts is allways hard job. Oiling or varnishing must be apply during every maintenance period! And you may also have darken appearance.
    l have never seen boat engine like a heart!knowledge

I have always sprayed Imron MS1 Clear over varnish. This time I tried brushing it. Its very thin and I had to be careful of drips and sags, but I only did the steps on my swim ladder. I'm happy to report that they look almost just as good as if I had sprayed them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have always sprayed Imron MS1 Clear over varnish. This time I tried brushing it. Its very thin and I had to be careful of drips and sags, but I only did the steps on my swim ladder. I'm happy to report that they look almost just as good as if I had sprayed them.
    Imron is awesome.

That said, it must be tough to sand through it when the wood underneath starts getting spots?

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Imron is awesome.

That said, it must be tough to sand through it when the wood underneath starts getting spots?
    After several years, I have had no need to do that. I'm sure that day will come.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Use a heat gun when the day arrives.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Finally sunshine and back on the rails. The Awlwood is a great product, like liquid glass.. the only warning is. If you like to work slow, this ain't your product.. it's 60 degrees and warming here, 10% thinned, and working time before tacky is 5 minutes or less.. in the sun, 2 minutes. I see why commercial shops love it..
    Attached Images