Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Railing Refinish

I used an unfamiliar product to refinish my rails last time.. it didn't last. So I'm stripping bare and after the mineral spirits wipe down, they look so good natural, until the mineral spirits evaporate, I'm thinking of just tongue oiling them.. anybody else gone au natural and how'd it work out?
    Attached Images

Re: Railing Refinish

Be careful not to get arrested for going au natural
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

This the front rail with just mineral spirits on it. I read that it was ok to apply epiphanes over tounge oil, so the plan is 3 coats of oil, varnish later or not. PS, the other product lured me in with the no sanding between coats... but basically just started disintegrating with sun exposure. The lee non weather side lost its gloss, but stayed intact.
    Attached Images

Teak oil looks good for a while and then it’s all downhill

Best finish I use in Florida is Awlwood by Awlgrip. It s a one part coating which requires no sanding between coats until the last couple of coats. It performs well in the Florida sun. Only downside is the price at $80 a quart but well worth it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Be careful not to get arrested for going au natural
    I'm sure it will be handled as a very very small misdemeanor!

Is Alwood a paint or clear coat type product? I'm open to try something different (except Total Boat varnish)

Unlike Cetol it s a clear. You first apply a primer and then the Awlwood gloss. In addition to not having to sand between coat you can recoat in as little as 2 hours.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Awlwood is clear but they have tints available for it. It is (I think) a urethane that cures from the moisture in the air.

I have never seen a more durable wood finish, ever.

That looks really good. My only offering is that oil finishes tend to darken over time which is not a look that appeals to me. My 2 cents.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I watched a video on Awlwood, and I think I'll change my mind and do that. I've always associated the Awlgrip stuff with paint, and never heard of a clear primer. Video said to sand to 120 so it should have good adhesion. Jamestown Marine is out, so I'm looking around. I'm in a covered slip but get morning sun on one side of the boat. The sunny side pic is where I stopped stripping, not much varnish left down the rail. The other rail pic gets zero sun, and the only varnish with any gloss left after 2 years.
    Attached Images