Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras Yachts Was Sold, Again.

Just heard Hatteras was sold to Johnny Morris's Bass Pro World.
    Word is there's Mako's on trailers as well as Knit Witts inside the factory for the press conference today.

Don't know any other details on what their plans are for Hatteras, think they currently build Mako's up in the NC mountains that's relatively new with a lot of incentives from the NC government.

If I were to guess I think Hatteras is probably gone, or soon to be. There's 4 boats under construction and some others in the molds already laid up, not sure if they have owners or not.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Re: Hatteras Yachts Was Sold, Again.

Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

Press release

Refers to support and grow the Hatteras brand, what ever that actually means we will have to wait and see.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/major-b...nd-will-launch
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Well, let's hope this is a good thing. Sounded like Hatteras was not going to survive it's financial and operational concerns, so any move to acquire the company would seemingly be better than the alternative.

If memory serves, Hatteras was also owned by AMF at one point in time and survived. Fingers crossed,…
    Best regards,
    --
    David

It just amazes (and disgusts) me that this hideous monster is the best selling yacht right now (Galleon) while Hatteras struggles. Society is in bad shape...and bad taste.

ugly boat.jpg Gross.

I hope Bass Pro renews interest in the art of strength, because I do love it.

181525msf9.jpg
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

IMHO, anytime companies consolidate the design and production of items of dissimilar quality or scale, the quality of the lesser tends to improve while the quality of greater tends to diminish. This is because the bean-counters seek economies of scale through uniformity of design, engineering, component sourcing and construction.

Think you were buying a Maytag after Maytag bought Magic Chef in the '90s? Think again. Think you're buying a Maytag today? The name remains, but you're buying a Whirlpool--just keep peeling the labels back and you might find Samsung on some the line. I use this example as one for which I can personally attest. Probably everyone on this site can cite a plethora of examples.

I personally hope that this is a good thing. But I remember before AMF there was Rockwell. I recall everyone was glad to get Hatteras away from Rockwell and into a sports oriented corporate group. AMF had just one line of boats.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

News talker says "they bought it for $34million", but article says they are investing 35 million in plant. I wonder what purchase price was.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

AMF had one line in New Bern, but they also owned Slickcraft, S2, and some others. Not to mention non-boating things like bowling equipment and Harley Davidson.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for the correction.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC