Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shower pump

Re: Shower pump

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Once a year I flush out the drain hoses with the dockside water hose . Low areas in the drain hoses collect debris . I flush the hoses from the shower sump to overboard by turning off the shower sump pump circuit breaker and filling the shower sump completely full , then turn on the circuit breaker and the water hose at the same time ,this forces a lot of water though the overboard drain hose . Even with the water running wide open, the sump pump ( Rule 2000) will drain the sump .
    That just answered how I can flush mine. Thanks for posting - I have to also do the same with my midship aft bilges. I've been trying to get them flushed out - they're running very slow compared to the pump size (Rule 3700) and I was thinking about putting 5 gallons of fresh water with a gallon of barnacle buster in each bilge then letting the pumps cycle it out under close supervision. My biggest issue is I have what appear to be check valves in the bilge lines currently, and until I can do a haul out I don't want to try to pull and replace the hoses. I'm hoping the barnacle buster will be in the lines long enough to push any buildup out.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Rule float switches rarely last more than a few years. The best switches are Ultra. A few dollars more but well worth it.

Some check valves can be opened and cleaned. I would not put a cheap plastic one. Personally I never use dockside power, boats have sunk from a leak (and neglected bilge pumps). Plus using the tank keep The water fresh and the tanks cleaner

Due to the first time hooking up dock water, and it’s refusal, I have been topping off the tank and using tank water. Slight sulfur smell when first turned on at the galley sink. My old boat used dockside fresh water, why I even tried it out to begin with.

As to the trim tabs, have you checked for power at the pump? The pump is inside so it can replaced without a haul out. If the cylinders find leak, they re fine
    Mechanic said the pump was running when I pushed both bow up and brown down switches.

My diver who replaces zincs and cleans bottom regularly said, no movement when I exercised the switches. Mechanic added fluid but still no movement.
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

I doubt both cylinders are bad at the same time. Usually when they fail, they leak...

Two possibilities:
    1)- the valves in the pump assembly are bad and don’t direct the flow of fluid to the hoses. But again... both valves failing ?

2)- the switches are sending power for the pump to run it they are not sending the signal to activate the valves. That s the most likely. Your mechanic should have checked for voltage on the wires sending the signal. Try finding the wiring diagram and check for voltage
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I doubt both cylinders are bad at the same time. Usually when they fail, they leak...

Two possibilities:
    1)- the valves in the pump assembly are bad and don’t direct the flow of fluid to the hoses. But again... both valves failing ?

2)- the switches are sending power for the pump to run it they are not sending the signal to activate the valves. That s the most likely. Your mechanic should have checked for voltage on the wires sending the signal. Try finding the wiring diagram and check for voltage
    Thanks for the tips.
    Will have him check that.
    I have the manual and wiring diagrams.
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Best 10.00 you will spend.
    Two for 12 dolla.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shower-Drai...QAAOSwxBNgcodl

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Great deal.