Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shower pump

Shower pump

Is this a fairly easy job to tackle?I know, probably a loaded question. Thanks for watching and suggestions. https://youtube.com/shorts/FjXRX5fVgRg?feature=shareOh and yes the Cb trips a second after pushing in the pump knob near the shower under the sink.
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

Re: Shower pump

Check the wiring to make sure there isn’t a short but it either the float switch or the pump. Likely the pump if the breaker trips. Just replace it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Found the aft shower box in bilge. Turns out hair and soap scum were causing slow drain. Cleared what was visible but mechanic advised chemicals intervention to clear the slow drain. Any recommendations on what to use and more what not to use?Thanks.

There should be a mesh tube catching hair before it gets into the sump.

Remove and clean as needed. Frequency varies depending on female / male ratio as well as long hair/short hair ratio. If you have a bunch of long haired women (or 60s hippie guys) on board you may have to clean monthly

Not sure how that would trip the breaker though
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Every time I have my boat worked on, discover new stuff.
    Turns out, advantage to having the mechanic who replaced this stuff recently, the original shower pump was forward of the one I showed in my video.
    Mechanic said they decided to replace and locate where they could get to it.
    This one doesn’t needed that shower switch moved, it’s on and float dependent.
    The float was the culprit and replace to to age. Pump was working but weak and mechanic said best to replace it since it’s a few years old. Wasn’t much clogging anything, just that float and condition of the pump. All back together and running rather flawlessly.
    Lots of other issues looked at.
    Some addressed, some still need parts.
    Like my fresh water inlet, that check valve (Brass) isn’t letting fresh water into the boat.
    Mechanic said I could replace with a plastic version, or brass. I’m leaning towards the brass one which found online on sale for $35.00.
    Trim tabs motor working but tabs not moving. Fluid topped off, still not moving so I gather that will have to wait for a diver or my next haul out to address.
    Installed some nifty LED lighting in bilge. Two long strings of them.
    Got aft shower draining properly after cleaning that under the drain.

Always a long list on a boat nearly 47 years old!

Best 10.00 you will spend.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Definitely brass
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks Seven. Both fwd and aft haven them. Didn’t realize till this am, they just sit on top of the real drain protecting from hair, etcOnce I picked the aft one up, spotted hair and soap particles caught in drain. Still looking for recommendations on a liquid drain cleaner that won’t hurt the pipes. There is no clog just a slow drain on my aft shower. Thanks for the suggestion(s.)

Rule float switches rarely last more than a few years. The best switches are Ultra. A few dollars more but well worth it.

Some check valves can be opened and cleaned. I would not put a cheap plastic one. Personally I never use dockside power, boats have sunk from a leak (and neglected bilge pumps). Plus using the tank keep The water fresh and the tanks cleaner

As to the trim tabs, have you checked for power at the pump? The pump is inside so it can replaced without a haul out. If the cylinders find leak, they re fine
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I cleaned the guest shower when first cleaning the boat about a month ago. Only last week did I happen to look that direction through the access to see all the bleachy water sitting in that little pocket.

Honestly, I thought the hose from the shower was broken and leaking in there. Then I ran the other shower and saw water come in from the other hose...and thought "wow, that's on purpose?"
    An ancient bilge pump is in there up about 8 inches from the bottom with a cheap, non-working rule float switch down on the bottom. How's that supposed to work - the switch turns the pump on right away well before the water gets to it? It doesn't make any sense - that switch would keep the pump on running dry forever! (someone was a knucklehead)

At least the pump comes-on when you pull the switch on the head panel. I'll need to get a new pump and put it near the bottom of that pocket and put in a new float switch above it. Right?

I need to take a picture of that mess - you all would laugh. I'd appreciate a pic of that holding pocket which is set-up correctly.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 04-06-2021 at 09:17 PM.