Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Windlass recommendations

Good morning gentleman,
    I am a new Hatteras owner, and this is my first post. I recently purchased a 1988 40-foot Dual cabin. The boat is on Lake Erie in winter storage. Apparently, the boat was never equipped with a windlass. Since I will be taking the boat from Lake Erie down to the west coast of Florida in the spring and planning to anchor out whenever possible, I feel a windless would be quite helpful. My questions are as follows; Is a Lewmar Pro 1000, with a 1000lb lift a good choice, or is it too light? question 2, does anyone know what size anchor line and chain this boat was originally equipped with? and lastly, is the original equipment anchor adequate for this boat.
    Thank you in advance any input would be helpful.
    Larry

Re: Windlass recommendations

I have the Lewmar Pro 1000 on my 32 Nordic tug and it seems to be a little small. We are really careful not to try to winch the boat up to the anchor but motor forward abs much as possible. It only has 4 5/16 inch bolts to secure it to the deck. I would think that 5/16 chain would be fine for that boat. The newer style anchors like Rocna are really good. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks for the input Scarlett. Perhaps let me rephrase the question; which windlass would you recommend for this boat?

Lots of good companies like Maxwell and Lofrans I would check there info on sizing for your boat.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

We replaced our big Ideal with a Lofrans Falkon a few years ago.
    Were all chain.
    What a sweet piece of equipment.

A lil Cayman or Tigres will do you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I have the Lewmar Pro 1000 on my 32 Nordic tug and it seems to be a little small. We are really careful not to try to winch the boat up to the anchor but motor forward abs much as possible. It only has 4 5/16 inch bolts to secure it to the deck. I would think that 5/16 chain would be fine for that boat. The newer style anchors like Rocna are really good. John
    Winching the boat to the anchor is a no-no regardless of how large the windlass. If that's you're only complaint, you're good. I would think that windlass would work fine on a 40AC.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here's my Lewmar V3 after 3 seasons use. To their credit, they did replace it out of warranty. That said, it's not well constructed. Notice the Cole Hersee circuit block in the last pic. Installed the same day and subject to the same conditions as the Lewmar crap. They asked me if salt water might have gotten on it. Hmmmmm. Its an all chain rode. What do you think?

Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 1a.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Big fan of "Good Automatic Windlass". Have on on my 34 that has been used and abused for years and still works better than the previous simpson lawarance did new. I just put one on my 46.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

If anyone reading this thread decides to ditch their Ideal, I need some V5C parts and may take it off of your hands.

The main thing that I need is a motor, best would be 24V but I might get a shop to rewind a 12 or 32.

PM if so...

DAN
    Last edited by drburke; 01-29-2022 at 08:49 PM.

C'mon down to Sw FL!

Yeah, you have to have a windless in the ICW, especially down here. If something happens, you have to be able to anchor yourself - or the breeze will blow you onto the shallow in a minute. And chain is mandatory because you'll find yourself anchoring in a fairly shallow place.

It doesn't even have to be an engine problem or something major. I just dropped anchor recently because I had to take a leak and the only other human onboard was my 9 year old. We had 20 knot winds here today and I'd have been near the sandbar by the time I ran up front and tossed an anchor...and what a hassle.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C