Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone rigged for a second anchor?

The majority of large cruising sailboats I've owned have had dual anchor rollers, but I've never seen this setup on a Hatteras. Is anyone using more than one anchor and if so, how do you configure for that?

I have a large plow anchor currently installed on the roller, but would like to be able use the all rope side of the windlass for a large Fortress anchor when needed. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that without removing the plow (Delta) from the roller.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Re: Anyone rigged for a second anchor?

The fortress is light so you may not need a separate roller. You could hand drop it under the rail Other wise you need a second roller

The question is why would you want to use another anchor? Have the FX has a back up yes but otherwise just use your primary. Upsize it if you have to.

We anchor maybe 150 times a year and I ve never needed to use a second anchor. My primary is always oversized though
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I wouldn't want to use a second anchor, but I was thinking I might want to use an alternate style anchor depending on the bottom conditions.

Where are you from? Do you reply anchor in such different bottoms that you may need a different anchor? I can’t really imagine a situation where I d want to use a fortress without chain over a delta.

The only possible case would be in very very soft mud where Deltas aren’t the best although unless it’s really blowing, putting another 30’ of chain usually helps.

I don’t think it s worth trying to set up for a second anchor.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Live in SW Florida, but heading to the Exumas, Bahamas in the spring. I"ve had issues with plow anchors not holding well over in the Abacos, so thought having a different anchor available would help me sleep at night.

I always keep a fortress anchor somewhere around the cockpit. On a Post, I had it mounted on the inside freeboard with those clip things the points slide down into. (pic below) There's SO much room under the cockpit of a 52C, I'll just keep one down there....when I find one used or on sale.

When fishing under a bridge or anchored around other boats, you should tie one off the back to keep the stern from blowing around and hitting something/someone.

003446.jpg
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Been going to the Exumas for 15 years or so. Your delta will be fine as long as it is oversized... your profile says 58... on a 58 I d want something around 100 lbs.

Personally I m not a big fan of deltas as they don’t work well in soft mud. I ve been using Bruce/claw forever and they just work. Cheap too.

These days we only use our 53 for local cruising with a 75 Davis which is like a Delta. Whenever we start going to the Bahamas I will put a 110 claw/bruce

We just returned from a 6 week shakedown Exumas trip with the 116 lazzara i started running. It has two 196 Pool anchors which are useless. We were anchored 5 weeks out of 6 and everytime I had two use 12 to 14:1 ratio to hold. I spent time on line searching for an adequate anchor and ironically found it right here at Sam’s: a 396 stainless Pool. Picking it up this week...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We have 2 x FX85 on board for spares. Broke down and taking up minimal room. 20 foot chains and hundreds feet of 1" twisted nylon below.
    All Collecting dust.

Our oversized Bruce/Claw with 300' chain has held up to every thing thrown at us, all over the south east, Tortuga and the Bahamas.

One day, I may thin one out.

I remember in the old days, A main anchor and a lunch hook. We never did the lunch hook thing. Same amount of effort to set / recall either one.
    So, even if just for a quick set, Big un goes down.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-31-2022 at 08:29 PM.

Yep. The concept of a lunch hook is plain dumb unless you want your lunch to be cold.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks to all for the input.

I'm running too light with the current 65lb Delta, so will look for a 110+ hook that will fit.

We are pretty heavy at around 50tons, so I know the bigger the better for a good anchor set.