Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hynautic control Reservoir slow leak

Noticed my gear levers feeling spongy this morning. hynautic reservoir was down to 20psi. Pressured back up to 85psi and everything works fine- but noticed a slight hiss on the “dill valve “ which looks similar to the fill valve. Has anyone encountered this? It’s so slight I could stop it with a piece of play-doh.
    Attached Images
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Hynautic control Reservoir slow leak

85lbs seems to be rather high...isn’t the recommended pressure around 20-30lbs? In any regards, there might be dirt in the valve that needs to be cleared out. Try using a can of compressed air. Or you might need to replace the valve. The dill valve should screw out and can be replaced. Any good automotive store should have the removal tool and replacement valves. In addition, put dust cap on it to keep contaminants out (standard automotive tire cap works).
    Last edited by Hat52MY; 04-02-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

What is a dill valve? I know there is a Schrader valve on the reservoir, but I’ve never heard of a Dill Valve.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    85lbs seems to be rather high...isn’t the recommended pressure around 20-30lbs? In any regards, there might be dirt in the valve that needs to be cleared out. Try using a can of compressed air. Or you might need to replace the valve. The dill valve should screw out and can be replaced. Any good automotive store should have the removal tool and replacement valves. In addition, put dust cap on it to keep contaminants out (standard automotive tire cap works).
    Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely be covering to filling valve. The dill valve doesn’t have external threads as I suppose it’s supposed to be open to vent if required. The literature says to leave at 80-85psi with 1/2 to 2/3 full reservoir. At 20 psi the response on levers is sluggish.
    MV "Mystery"
    Trinidad & Tobago

I haven’t heard of a dill valve before either, but that’s the name on diagram. I imagine it’s a relief valve.
    Attached Images
    MV "Mystery"
    Trinidad & Tobago

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Shifters operate at that pressure. Steering at 20-30.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Hynautic control pressure is up there around 80PSI. Not like the steering systems.
    The air pressure fill neck does leak at times (like a tire stem). I have found the pressure gauge to leak more often.
    Bet you a beer, it's the air gauge.
    Here,, hold my beer while I replace the air gauge...

If the sight gauge is the older square solid tube , it is probably leaking. If it’s the more modern flexible round tube probably it’s something else like the gauge Capt Ralph mentioned.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Thanks for all the replies. I used the boat over the long Easter weekend here without issues. Since the leak was so minimal, I wrapped that valve with a bit of plastic wrap and the pressure held for 3 days. I’ll check back this week and see the loss over a longer time. I will order and replace that valve next.
    MV "Mystery"
    Trinidad & Tobago

Like others have mentioned, most gauges are right when the needles are around 12 o'clock. Of course there are exceptions, but I keep all my Hynautic stuff at the 12 and a quick glance is all I need. If the leak is at a threaded fitting, just use some thread sealant and repressurise.