Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: My experience with MarinAire started off so well and crashed and burned...

Yeah but I was still in the master closet working on it and it took me 3 minutes to order the thing with next day delivery... not worth driving anywhere.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The MarinAire issue has now escalated to me demanding a full refund or replacement

Well as of Tuesday last week the 16K unit from MarinAire had quit working completely - 2 months from date of purchase/install. It kept shutting down on high discharge pressure/no water flow, and it did same thing with 2 different pumps. I ran all the hoses checking for kinks/obstructions (there weren't any) and when the pump was run directly without the unit there was no indication of any flow problems. We spent over $2K with them for a unit that ran 2 months and quit. I've decided they either shipped me a known defective unit or someone else's returned unit. I faxed them a written notification today that with the unit failure history in the first 2 months, due to their initial failure to ensure the unit was working when shipped combined with this new problem, I want the entire unit replaced or a full refund with them picking up return/shipping charges. I may not get everything I want but I am prepared to go to my credit card company tomorrow morning and file under purchase protection.

In the meantime, found out a neighboring boat who just installed 2 new units the same size is having the exact same issues, but had to leave for Maryland this morning - the units were installed, you guessed it, about 4 weeks ago.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Wow..... All I can suggest is to take a separate pump put it on the swim platform, watch is squirt and then run a hose directly to the unit. See if it repeats.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Wow..... All I can suggest is to take a separate pump put it on the swim platform, watch is squirt and then run a hose directly to the unit. See if it repeats.
    That's almost what I did. 2 different pumps ran just fine without the unit running. It's either in the pump relay in the unit or there is a mechanical issue in the refrigeration side of the system. Either way I am done with MarinAire and regret choosing them.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

That is a dam shame, especially in FL where the need for AC is pretty much a 24/7/365 requirement.

If you have to start over, I think people on this forum have had good luck with Ocean Air Systems- I think that's the one.

That's awful. BUT, I paid over twice that for the ol' pro to put in just one new 9k system.

People often tell me I'm mental-disorder-level cheap. I suppose that's true, because I'd rather have paid only 2 grand and deal with the inconvenience.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    That's almost what I did. 2 different pumps ran just fine without the unit running. It's either in the pump relay in the unit or there is a mechanical issue in the refrigeration side of the system. Either way I am done with MarinAire and regret choosing them.
    Confused about your statement: “pumps ran just fine without the unit running”

Are you saying that if connected directly to a power source the pump runs and has good overboard discharge? Then what happens when you turn the air con on?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

May be way off base but what voltage do you have coming into the boat? Could that be a problem causing a problem?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    That is a dam shame, especially in FL where the need for AC is pretty much a 24/7/365 requirement.

If you have to start over, I think people on this forum have had good luck with Ocean Air Systems- I think that's the one.
    Jim, I think you may mean Oceane Breeze? I needed to replace the split unit (1compressor, 4air handlers) compressor side 4 years ago on a 1978-58’my, “Joe” told me to ship them the old unit complete and he fabricated a new unit that fit into the same space as my old unit and had many newer system features. Great people to work with and very reasonably priced!
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

I think you're right. Memory is the second thing to go.

I forget what's first.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 06-15-2021 at 07:36 AM.