Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Re-installing pulpit questions. 1985 45c

Last year removed the windless for replacement, found all of the expected horrors. Not sealed penatrations, core rot, windless so stuck we had to use a 8 lb sledge and grinder to remove. Curiously the pulpit was installed so poorly, but once off the boat the pulpit itself is an amazing well built piece. Mine had teak that had seen better days. Made the decision to remove the teak. Turned out to be a much larger job than expected. 5200 and screws every three inches from inside. If only the guys who built the pulpit had installed it, there would never have been an issue.When the pulpit was removed it was great to find a couple of large pieces of what used to be plywood that had turned into mud under it. So now it's time to reinstall, I have the hollow from plywood imprinted in the bog on the underside. I'm thinking of using cousa to reinstall for strength in compression, however it appears to be about a two inch gap and I don't have the benefit of wet bog to lay it in. So thinking I'll install cousa in pulpit and grind on deck to match crest of deck.Anyone with experience doing this? Did you do it differently?Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images
    Shells sink, dreams float
    Life's good on our boat

Re: Re-installing pulpit questions. 1985 45c

When I reinstalled our pulpit, which is quite similar, the painter installed new marine grade plywood on the inside/underside of the pulpit. I flipped over the pulpit and took a planer to it so as to match the curve of the fordeck. The glass on the fordeck is not that thick. I would grind the pulpit to match instead of the other way around. Make sure plenty of sealant is used around all openings etc. when remating the pulpit.
    I had some dowels and boards in between the pulpit and deck so that I could get the sealant in and then drop it straight down on the deck.
    Regards
    Dan

I am doing the same job as you. My pulpit was not bedded in as much filler as yours. I used a PVC panel to rebuild all of the laminated plywood under it. There was a piece that sat on the toe rail and another that snugged into the toe rail and sat on the deck and reached to the rear slope of the pulpit. You could make paper patterns and stat there. It took me a day and I had good pieces to copy. My boat is a 42c so very similar, the deck under the pulpit is quite flat on my boat so there is no noticable camber. I'll get some photos out later today.

Walt Hoover

The deck under our pulpit was flat before I rebuilt it. Once complete it had a curve that enabled shedding water. The deck most likely flattened on our boat because the balsa core all but disappeared due to rot.
    Regards
    Dan

I also have a 45C and just completed the same project, it was a mess. I did not do it myself so cannot help with suggestions but they did use Coosa board. all of the previous coring was mush.

Here are the blocks I made for mine. The old ones were not really too bad but the PVC will last up there forever. I do not have the galley maid windlass so there is no large hole in the one piece. In this compression application it will be as good as coosa and a lot better than the soggy laminated plywood that was in there.

Walt Hoover
    Attached Images