Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Re-installing pulpit questions. 1985 45c

Last year removed the windless for replacement, found all of the expected horrors. Not sealed penatrations, core rot, windless so stuck we had to use a 8 lb sledge and grinder to remove. Curiously the pulpit was installed so poorly, but once off the boat the pulpit itself is an amazing well built piece. Mine had teak that had seen better days. Made the decision to remove the teak. Turned out to be a much larger job than expected. 5200 and screws every three inches from inside. If only the guys who built the pulpit had installed it, there would never have been an issue.When the pulpit was removed it was great to find a couple of large pieces of what used to be plywood that had turned into mud under it. So now it's time to reinstall, I have the hollow from plywood imprinted in the bog on the underside. I'm thinking of using cousa to reinstall for strength in compression, however it appears to be about a two inch gap and I don't have the benefit of wet bog to lay it in. So thinking I'll install cousa in pulpit and grind on deck to match crest of deck.Anyone with experience doing this? Did you do it differently?Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images
    Shells sink, dreams float
    Life's good on our boat