Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Rerouting Flybridge Drain

you are a god among men!!! I shake my head everytime I have to deal with our flybridge drains.... Any chance you could post some pics of inside the compartment as to how you routed the drain? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it. I've considered bedding a half moon cut piece of pvc in there so it would drain. All those bridge compartments are basically useless due to the drainage.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    you are a god among men!!! I shake my head everytime I have to deal with our flybridge drains.... Any chance you could post some pics of inside the compartment as to how you routed the drain? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it. I've considered bedding a half moon cut piece of pvc in there so it would drain. All those bridge compartments are basically useless due to the drainage.
    From that little corner where it drains to port, I was thinking about putting a couple thick lines of 4200 down to channel the water to where it goes...just guide the flow along under the seat and right to the drain.

The previous owner actually foamed that corner drain closed after spending a pile on electronics. I guess he didn't want that moisture always under his connections. But that made the water pool right there. Not only was it dirty, I think that makes it more likely to soak into the core somewhere.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    My child...The key is never letting water in under those benches in the first place. I tried channeling, and it doesn’t work well with a rocking boat. Channeling also doesn’t help with the perpetual dampness. So, what I did was to bed highly flared 1/2” copper (anneal it first for max. flair) into the expanded bench drain holes. 45/64s is the optimum drill size or use a Dremel. Once sealed and bedded into place with 5200 and epoxy putty, I continued the 1/2” copper (with hose ends) to the far low end of the bench and installed a thru hull (pictured in orig. post). I then sealed up the original openings under the bench that drained under the helm station. My ‘Dwarf Wanted’ ad on Craigslist having gone unanswered, I opened up the back corner of the bench seat and installed a 7” dia. inspection plate for access.
    IMG_2951.jpgIMG_2953.jpg
    Also, I sleeved the deck drain under the bench and piped it overboard rather than let it use the port side fly bridge void as a gutter. This is pictured on my first post.That was very sloppy of Hatteras--a real mildew factory. Now, everything up top is 100% dry one-hundred percent of the time. Much USEFUL storage up there now.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    my child...the key is never letting water in under those benches in the first place. I tried channeling, and it doesn’t work well with a rocking boat. Channeling also doesn’t help with the perpetual dampness. So, what i did was to bed highly flared 1/2” copper (anneal it first for max. Flair) into the expanded bench drain holes. 45/64s is the optimum drill size or use a dremel. Once sealed and bedded into place with 5200 and epoxy putty, i continued the 1/2” copper (with hose ends) to the far low end of the bench and installed a thru hull (pictured in orig. Post). I then sealed up the original openings under the bench that drained under the helm station. my ‘dwarf wanted’ ad on craigslist having gone unanswered, i opened up the back corner of the bench seat and installed a 7” dia. Inspection plate for access.
    Attachment 50741Attachment 50742
    also, i sleeved the deck drain under the bench and piped it overboard rather than let it use the port side fly bridge void as a gutter. this is pictured on my first post.that was very sloppy of hatteras--a real mildew factory. Now, everything up top is 100% dry one-hundred percent of the time. Much useful storage up there now.

love it! Nice work!!!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Sorry you’re having to do that. I am pleased to report Aslan’s FB drain rehab was a rare complete success. It’s been hose and storm tested and she’s dry as a bone.
    Well, the bilge pump and manual (not float) switch install was a success. Apparently the only way to have a float switch is to also have a 3-way switch in the circuit. In the interest of simplicity, I installed a manual toggle switch where I can easily reach it from the ladder, run it for couple of minutes and watch all the water pour over the side. Now to make scupper drain extenders from some scrap isenglass donated by a marina neighbor.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL