Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rerouting Flybridge Drain

I've been regularly irritated with the flybridge drain layout from Hatteras. The port side of the bridge drained under the bench and was, essentially, released to run between the inner and outer flybridge sides. Seems like a sloppy system that let the water spread out and keep the cabling hydrated. To make matters worse, water somehow found its way down one of the wiring chases (despite resealing) accumulating in the aft ER bilge to the stern.

No more. I sleeved the drain with copper at its entry point. Here it is after sealing. Planning to repaint the deck this year.
    IMG_2736.jpg
    I transitioned to a rubber hose and then back to copper before exiting. I opened the existing weep hole to 45/64" and bedded heavily flared 1/2" copper. Due to location, I couldn't sweat all the copper, so JB Weld got the job.
    IMG_2735.jpg
    Another constant irritant was flybridge water draining onto the port side cockpit cabinet. So, I extended the 1/2" forward so that it no longer gets into the cockpit. Firing up a garden hose shows the desired results.

Previously, I took the bench drain out of the loop as well. That's the access plate in the top picture. Between that and the deck drain improvement, I now have previously wasted dry storage. Small things can make big differences.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Rerouting Flybridge Drain

While I haven't had the flybridge drain issue you have- my rear drains are troughed thru to scupper, and forward ones are channeled pretty well, I had the issue of my forward salon AC unit condensation dripping onto salon couch because it wasn't draining. Somewhere in my boat's past life, the salon AC units were relocated to the flying bridge. The forward one is under the console and inside a container that I swear is a cartop luggage carrier. The drain line that was installed is simply a rubber tube that was laying under the evaporator, not even connected to the pan and the hole it passed thru was almost an inch larger than the hose with nothing around it. I cut off the old hose (it was routed down to port engine room bilge thru cable run), and installed a plastic thru-hull fitting on the box. I routed a hose to the drain hole for the under-console area and clamped it - no more salon drip, no more damp couch, no more annoyed spouse. Sorry about lack of pictures but it was a maddening boat yoga project with much sailor language due to hitting my head, cutting my foot, etc.

Here's the mystery. PO was convinced it was a rain leak coming from under radar arch (regardless of whether it rained or not) and poured hot resin mix thru entire area on both port and starboard side where he thought it was. He told me he had been doing this with no success for an unknown length of time yet he kept doing it. So that part of my flying bridge is probably stronger structurally than anywhere else on the flying bridge...
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I might try that on mine. I already have the copper pipe transitioned to rubber but the rubber is just laying by the exit hole. While re-doing my bridge I recently found there is the same hole on the starboard side in case any water gets in there.

Nice! After only a month of ownership, it's rained maybe twice. Still, a full 24 hours later the water was still dripping on the front corners of the cockpit. Annoying.

As for a drain hole in the front corner of the helm: The previous owner filled it with putty after spending $20k on a new electronics package. I guess he also didn't think moisture under the helm, where all the brains and connections for the electronics live, was a good idea. So now, the water just sits in that corner of the seats in an increasingly dirty puddle.

I have other fish to fry for a few months, but will keep this in mind. My initial thought was to build up that front/port side with a few layers of that roll out non-skid flybridge deck material - and then cover it the entire bridge with a final layer. At least that way everything would run toward stbd and then back.

As for it dripping off the back onto the cockpit, I figured there must be a way to affix some kinda' diminutive stainless or white plastic edge molding which would direct water down the side of the house instead of dripping off the back. Right??

I'm not sure I have the craftsmanship skills to pull off the same job as Capt. C. I'd be worried I might screw-up the coring or something.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 03-25-2021 at 09:02 PM.

I know that problem I have a leak in the salon starboard front corner that I suspect is coming from that drain. On my spring to-do list is to find and sort out the cause of the leak. Thanks for posting the pictures!
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

During our cruise to nowhere today, we took a huge wake roll when a cruising club went by - 4 50' European-style weekenders at high speed right before entering a dredged channel thru the shoal area. I previously mentioned installing a thru-hull and drain for my salon AC forward unit under the FB console. Well, back to the original plan and installing a small bilge pump and float switch, with a discharge hose routed to FB cockpit drains. This was because in spite of my improved drainage with the thru-hull and hose, I still had 3 separate sloshes of about a gallon each come down on me while trying to stay in the channel and give plenty of sea room to the cruising club we took 3 good rolls as the wakes broadsided us. Once I am done, the AC condensation will be pumping overboard and I will still have a dry sofa in the salon as well as a dry helm station.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Yep. Very similar plans when I start playing with fiberglass up there.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    During our cruise to nowhere today, we took a huge wake roll when a cruising club went by - 4 50' European-style weekenders at high speed right before entering a dredged channel thru the shoal area. I previously mentioned installing a thru-hull and drain for my salon AC forward unit under the FB console. Well, back to the original plan and installing a small bilge pump and float switch, with a discharge hose routed to FB cockpit drains. This was because in spite of my improved drainage with the thru-hull and hose, I still had 3 separate sloshes of about a gallon each come down on me while trying to stay in the channel and give plenty of sea room to the cruising club we took 3 good rolls as the wakes broadsided us. Once I am done, the AC condensation will be pumping overboard and I will still have a dry sofa in the salon as well as a dry helm station.
    Sorry you’re having to do that. I am pleased to report Aslan’s FB drain rehab was a rare complete success. It’s been hose and storm tested and she’s dry as a bone.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Next project on my list! My 55C has the exact problem and now I know how to fix it.
    Thanks
    Guy

The condensation came thru the headliner?