Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: paint recommendations for swim platform

Try Hypercoat Downing, that is where I get Awlgrip from. They are located in Toronto and do a lot of business with the aircraft industry. Great people, sell right over the counter,always have stock and never give me trouble with accounts and business numbers. Other places near me would only supply to the professionals.

Walt Hoover

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the tip.

I will call them and see if they have any.

Will post the response.

Mark
    lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull # 377

Hi Walt,

Just spoke to person at Hypercoat Dowling and no Interlux Perfection in Canada that they are aware of. He suggested Awlgrip for the swim platform.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull# 377

I don't think it is just a Canada issue. I was looking at going with it but couldn't find it in stock anywhere when I started this project in January

I've never rolled Awlgrip but I found that I do not have the patience to spray it. The time between coats is way too long. I'll spray automotive or Imron, but Awlgrip is a totally different animal.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have never sprayed Awlgrip, to scared of mistakes and I do not have the right equipment. My painting is mostly small parts. I did do part of my toe rail last summer. The tricks I have learned is three coats of primer, two top coats, 400 grit sand then a third top coat tipped with a new bristle brush. I am pleased with the result but you are right about time, 24 hours between top coats so it took a week to do 12 feet of rail and you need nice weather.

Walt Hoover

7. Re: paint recommendations for swim platform

My local supplier for Interlux in Connecticut says "Due to a manufacturing issue, this product is limited to stock on hand"

Hopefully Interlux gets their act together soon.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Jean View Post
    My local supplier for Interlux in Connecticut says "Due to a manufacturing issue, this product is limited to stock on hand"

Hopefully Interlux gets their act together soon.
    They must be getting something from China or someone high up the chain left and blamed it on Covid. This is exactly why I went Awlgrip

We used Awlcraft on our boat and very happy with results. It was all sprayed though so can't comment on results with brushing or rolling.

Good luck,
    JCG

I have found a solution to my problem.

The marina where we have the boat on the hard for the winter (brrrrr) has a seperate company with a guy who does fiberglass repairs and painting. He can't paint my swim platform as he has a 3 month backlog of work but he has offered to provide me with professional advice and all the supplies I need to do the job myself using Awlgrip. He is just finished a job painting a sail boat and he has about 1/2 a gallon of Awlgrip "Oyster white" that is left over and he has all the other Awlgrip stuff needed to do the job (second part of the paint, reducer, filler, granules for the non-skid). he said that he will sell them to me and offer friendly advice to do the job (his shop is 100 yards from my boat). It will cost me about $400 US for everything I will need to do the job. I consider myself lucky. I will take pictures of my efforts and post. I should have it done in about a month depending on weather (snow expected tonight, but high of 55 expected by this weekend).

Thanks for all your advice.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull #377