Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

paint recommendations for swim platform

Hi,

I planning on painting my fiberglass swim platform this spring before I splash the boat.

Im looking for suggestions on a paint that I can roll and tip. I'm in a fresh water environment but would like a paint that a novice can work with. luckily 80% of the swim platform is non-skid already so i am not too worried about runs in the paint. Recommendations would be appreciated. I would try to match the rest of the boat's 1989 hatteras off-white (it's the origional Imron paint).

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull #377

Re: paint recommendations for swim platform

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post
    Hi,I planning on painting my fiberglass swim platform this spring before I splash the boat.Im looking for suggestions on a paint that I can roll and tip. I'm in a fresh water environment but would like a paint that a novice can work with. luckily 80% of the swim platform is non-skid already so i am not too worried about runs in the paint. Recommendations would be appreciated. I would try to match the rest of the boat's 1989 hatteras off-white (it's the origional Imron paint).MarkLake of the Woods1989 40 DC, Hull #377
    I’d want a two part for sure there. Forget the tipping and roll Perfection. Google rolling Perfection. Well worth it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert,

would you suggest an epoxy paint or polyurethane?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull #377

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post
    Robert,

would you suggest an epoxy paint or polyurethane?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull #377
    Epoxy will go flat in a short time. It’s. It meant as a finish coat. The two part urethane that Robert recommended would be the best recommendation.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Epoxy will go flat in a short time. It’s. It meant as a finish coat. The two part urethane that Robert recommended would be the best recommendation.
    Yep. Tough as nails.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Imron can match the paint.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I am on the downhill stretch of refinishing my flybridge. I considered Interlux but everywhere I looked was "temporarily out of stock". Also their colors are limited but not as much as Alexseal. I am not sure if this is Covid related or if they are having other issues but I wound up going with Awlgrip based on availability of the color I needed. I also had some left from another project I was able to utilize. If your platform stays in contact with water you may want to look into Interlux's recommendation on that. I read recently where Awlgrip shouldn't be used under water and I think Interlux is a similar paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I am on the downhill stretch of refinishing my flybridge. I considered Interlux but everywhere I looked was "temporarily out of stock". Also their colors are limited but not as much as Alexseal. I am not sure if this is Covid related or if they are having other issues but I wound up going with Awlgrip based on availability of the color I needed. I also had some left from another project I was able to utilize. If your platform stays in contact with water you may want to look into Interlux's recommendation on that. I read recently where Awlgrip shouldn't be used under water and I think Interlux is a similar paint.
    You’re right, of course, about the below water warning. But it is hull paint. So wet is good. FWIW, I painted a badly etched porcelain toilet bowl onboard with Perfection. It’s been a couple of years of several inches of continuous submersion in saltwater with no failure or loss of gloss.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You’re right, of course, about the below water warning. But it is hull paint. So wet is good. FWIW, I painted a badly etched porcelain toilet bowl onboard with Perfection. It’s been a couple of years of several inches of continuous submersion in saltwater with no failure or loss of gloss.
    I had forgotten about that one. Sounds like that crappy job held up after all. I painted the sink in my cockpit with Amercoat, which is a 2 part Poly paint and it has held up well also. Not submerged but gets scrubbed pretty good and stays damp.

My platform is Awlgrip on top and Rustoleum topsides paint on the bottom. Since most of it is nonskid the only real tipping that needed to be done was around the edges at the tape line. Its holding up just as good as the cockpit. Also I cannot argue Mr. Clarksons use of perfection, his results are inspiring!

Walt Hoover