Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: 24 Volt Lithium House Bank Upgrade- Silent Ship

Covid lockdown put a 4 month dent in our plans but its now under way again.

The Victron gear has arrived.

The 48V 200Amp Australian made lithium battery is also on its way to the Sydney barge company who will come alongside next week and crane it in. We can get the battery into the wheel house with the crane, but its going to be an exercise to get it down the steps and then lower it into the genset room. We will need some sort of small A Frame and a block.

panel.JPG
    Battery will be placed on screwed wooden slats about where the box is.

72 volt 300amp solar panel is ordered. There's no time to install this on the flybridge hardtop this year so it will sit alongside the existing starter battery panel on rear flybridge deck.

We have installed a 1/2" plywood panel along the genset room's front bulkhead. The number of screws shown has been tripled and adhesive on the back. The 48v 5000w inverter is quite top heavy, so hopefully this reinforcement will do the trick. Other Victron parts including the 110/220 transformer are relatively light.

Electrician coming in 10 days.

We asked for a 200amp circuit breaker to be installed on the battery in case we add another 5000 watt inverter. BMS is rated for 200Amps. Regardless, we wanted the option to turn the battery OFF. The marine electrician will also install a 150amp fuse on the panel before the inverter charger. The external CB can also be disconnected/bypassed if necessary.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-08-2021 at 12:15 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

October 2021

The 48V 200AH lithium battery was delivered by the barge and using a dolly my young helper and I moved it though to the wheelhouse. We slid it down the stairs to the AFrame above the genset hatch. Using a block and tackle the battery was gently lowered into the genset room.

I had made a slatted screwed hardwood platform for it to sit on so the stainless case would be above any water spills. A wooden surround has also been made to stop the battery moving. There will also be a tiedown system, probably using stainless turnbuckles as further security against movement.

Battery1.jpg
    Barge delivering the battery. 200lbs or so.

battery3.JPG

battery4.JPG

The battery BMS has a high temp shutdown. The battery will operate in environments up to 50C/ 122F. It will never get that hot in the genset room. The battery case will have a temperature probe attached providing data to the Victron monitoring system that can be an alarm / read anywhere. The battery case is thick stainless. 200amp circuit breaker.

We have gone this way so as to have one battery only and the ability to install a second 5000amp inverter. The proposed Vetus 48 Volt bow thruster can be powered from it. We are also installing the 100amp Victron Auto Transformer to provide 110/240 split phase to the AC panel in the wheelhouse so we can have the 110 or 240 volt appliances...... dishwasher, washing machine, stove, microwave.... all operating without the generator running. The lights and power sockets are all on a separate 240 volt circuit. The 48 volt battery will accept 100amp charge and 200amp maximum discharge.

I am looking at an industrial heat sink to put on top of the battery and a revised blower / fan System in the genset room.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-08-2021 at 12:49 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

So today we are a little further forward...

battery6.JPG

The auto transformer, 48V/5000 inverter/charger, SmartShunt, 135/35 MPPT controller the Cerbo GX have been mounted. Yesterday was spent reading manuals, working out control cable runs to the wheelhouse, battery cables, special circuit breakers for the solar panels, learning about ANN fast blow fuses and a 50 volt or more fuse holder, ON/OFF switch. Two electricians and a solar company that fits out vans and boats are involved.

Forum members have asked me in PMs why we are proceeding along this particular pathway. We've spent 6 years trying to work out what is a common sense solution to our boating needs. We wanted a silent ship, one generator only, a big inverter and a big lithium battery. 48 volts was chosen as the battery can also be used for a Vetus bow thruster. We do not want to deal with 8 x lead acid house bank batteries. The Victron Inverter charger can charge the lithium battery to full in about 2.5 hours. We could go away for a long weekend and not have to run the generator.

To this end, we wanted a BIG single battery that would run the fridge for 5 days without generator or solar. (Our boat lives on a swing mooring and never visits a marina.) We wanted to be able to boil the kettle from the electrical outlets or run the shop vac without turning on the genset. (The present inverter is only 1200 watts.)

In the end we decided upon a custom Australian made stainless steel shell 48v 200AH lithium battery. One big battery seemed to make more sense to us than two or four in series. The battery's BMS has its own bluetooth so we'll be able to view its internal health. The Victron Cerbo GX will tell us everything else about the system. We can use an iPad or the touch screen to monitor. We're betting this battery will be just right for our needs.

We also need to modify certain circuits on the wheelhouse AC panel to be able to run from the inverter, but also have the option of also running on the genset. This would include the 110v dishwasher, 240v washing machine, 220v infrared stove, 220v microwave. The issue here is that the inverter is a 240 volt Australian model and the wheelhouse AC panel is a combination of 220 and 110v circuits. So we need to use the Victron Auto Transformer to create the 110 volt and 220 volt circuits when they are powered by the 220 volt inverter. This also meant the existing OEM factory cabling back to the master AC distribution panel could be used.

For circuit protection and safety we purchased 6mm tinned solar cable and 20amp double pole DC solar panel circuit breakers between the solar panels and the MPPT regulator. The battery itself has a 250amp circuit breaker on it. The battery cables will have a double pole ON/OFF switch, double pole 100amp slow blow Combination Fuse Switch (or CFS) which will handle any momentary surges and blow if there is a dead short. It looks like 7.35mm diameter battery cable should be sufficient for the 5000 watts drawn by the inverter at full power.

I'll will post a diagram of the system soon.

The Sydney covid lockdown lasted 4 months and we will not complete everything before the Christmas holidays. But we are able to split the project into two separate parts..... firstly the house power supply for the fridge and AC power outlets. The second part is the auto transformer and slightly modifying the two wheelhouse AC panels
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-11-2021 at 05:13 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

+++
    Sydney, Australia.

Once your done, let us know how that 2nd battery install go's!!!

Did you balance out the alternator charging for that battery? Or is the batter not feed from a new alternator?
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

The new lithium battery is only charged by the Victrum inverter charger or by solar or when we do connect to shore power. The battery is completely independent of the boat’s 32 V system.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

So a couple of days ago we turned the Inverter/Charger, SmartShunt and Smart MPPT, Cerbo GX on. It all worked. We also started up the generator and saw 60amps at 48 volts flow into the battery. The remote control panel is almost too simple to use and the video display amazing.

All in all this Victron system is very impressive with its dedicated screen, Bluetooth and wifi capabilities. I can even dial into the system from my home.

display.jpg

We have worked out how to include the Auto Transformer's 2 hots, neutral and ground into the boat's wiring when we connect the AC sub panel #1 in the wheelhouse to the inverter. Having removed the old Kohler #1 genset, we can make use of the main distribution panel's old genset #1 240v and 120v circuits specifically for sub panel #1. This will be a 2022 project.

+++++

We will be on the boat for six weeks over Christmas and the Victron setup will be a huge improvement over the 1200 watt inverter that we have used the past six years. But I can already foresee that 5000 watts is not going to be enough to run the galley.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-25-2021 at 05:56 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

I thought I would give an update on our first long weekend with the new inverter system and 48v 200ah battery.

The generator was run only for about an hour over a three day period. Fridge was on medium cool. The battery fell to about 75% during all this time as weather was cloudy. At night every light was on and the idea of a dimly lit interior is now a thing of the past. When we did run the generator the inverter charger filled the battery at 60 amps per hour which I think is 240 amps at 12 volts! Amazing.

The 10mm cable has arrived and we will soon connect up the auto transformer to run the galley's 120/240 volt circuits on AC sub panel #1. This modification in the main distribution panel appears straight forward with the auto transformer replacing the old Kolhler Genset #1 AC input for AC sub-panel #1. The Auto Transformer will not connect to AC #2 or AC #3 sub panels.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 12-07-2021 at 02:39 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Sounds like a great system. Victron makes some nice equipment.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have done a similar system 6 yrs ago, I went with 48v 400ah bank of lead acid for about 20kw of storage. I loaded the hardtop with solar panels 1200 watts. the equipment i am using is a magum inverter charger 4.4kw split phase 240/120 vac output. which allows me to run a fridge/freezer full time on solar power. I switched to 120vac led lights thru out. the boat has a security alarm that run full time, and night lights for for deck, aft deck and side decks. that run full time I have the boat on a mooring full time. i run my getset 1-2 hrs every other day while onboard to recharge the batteries and make 100gals of water. I have a 50gal per hour water maker I cook on a standard 240 v cooktop and use all other appliances from the system micro wave, coffee pot, etc. the batteries are losing capacity and i have to charge every day for a hour or two. the system has worked very well. I plan a new up grade to custom lithium battery bank 48v 560ah and add more solar to 3600 watts. with this i can run the entire boat without needing the genset to supplement recharging the battery bank. I harvest about 5kwh a day in the summer months with the current system and 30% less in the winter months with the upgraded solar should be getting 15 to 20 kwh per day. one other note is the lithium is much more efficient at storing energy. with lead acid if you put in 100% charge you can only remove 40 to 50 % and with a 20-30 lost to heat during the process. I will keep posting a update of the upgrades. and picture if there interest.