Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 24 Volt Lithium House Bank Upgrade- Silent Ship

Photolmy, I will get a piece of paper and a calculator and study your comments with great interest.

In reality I am on the boat 3 times a week when its on the mooring. Pre-covid boat the boat may have been unattended a few weeks here and there.

When aboard for holidays or daytrips we will always run the generator for cooking or aircon at least 2-3 hours a day. So this will charge the lithium batteries anyway and separately too the lead acid batteries.

Thinking about it further I just don't like being beholden to charging the batteries as often as I have to and would like to boil the kettle and use the toaster without the genset. Like Sea Venture, its a lifestyle decision.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Can Lithium batteries be used for engine starting ?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Can Lithium batteries be used for engine starting ?
    Yes, provided everything is properly sized.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Are they cost prohibitive? I know they are quite expensive,but you could sure save some weigh. Most seem to be about group 24 size,much easier to move than 8D .

A few weeks on and here is our latest thought bubble on how to achieve our off grid needs.....

We will order a custom made a 24v 400ah lithium battery weighing 80kg or 160lbs. This will cost about US$2200 landed. (An option is two x 24v 200ah batteries in parallel).

This battery will power our big fridge (3ah/24v) for about 5 days (400ah / 3ah = 5.5 days) which is our benchmark test. 24v/400ah is more than enough for us with both solar and the generator charging running at dinner times. Only the bilge pumps and DC LED lighting will be powered by the original port house bank.

Having now removed the Kohler Generator #1, we MAY be able to rewire the big control panel to the new 3000w Victron inverter charger and send output to AC Panel #3. The fridge, microwave/oven, dishwasher is all American appliances 60hz and operate from AC Panel #3.

We are still wondering how a 240 AC inverter would split to 110 volt and 240 volt. I wish we had some of the Hatteras sparkys over here to explain this. Also boat was converted to 3 phase when it came to Australia. Anyway I will find the best and brightest sparky to do this work. I'd love to also get rid of the 3 phase and go back to single phase as this is more common at the marinas we might pull into.

We will remove the old 32 volt Furuno 6' radar array and replace with Furuno First Watch WIFI radar dome and shorten the anchor light. Then install 3 x 24v 400watt solar panels plus relocate existing 32 volt panel to the flybridge hardtop. The new panels will go to the Victron solar regulator and other necessary Victron accessories such as voltage cut-offs, shunts and gauges.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    We will order a custom made a 24v 400ah lithium battery weighing 80kg or 160lbs. This will cost about US$2200 landed. (An option is two x 24v 200ah batteries in parallel).
    This guy has a bunch of videos where he tests batteries, and more vids that will show you how to make your own and save $$$$. He seems to know his stuff, and after 3 or four videos you start to realize it ain't rocket surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4pN4DVPOcY
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I thought I read somewhere a Halon system is ineffective against a lithium battery fire? I think Boeing issued a warning against lithium batteries in the hold because the Halon system wouldn't extinguish them in a fire.
    Obviously, the fire hazard thing has to be worked out before you spend a nickel.

I saw a tiny portable phone battery burn one time. It burned hot for a long time! A bilge full of 'em would really be something if burning.

Edit: Googled to confirm: http://venturaaerospace.com/halon-on...d-metal-fires/
    <actually, I use DuckDuckGo and never Google>
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 04-09-2021 at 09:10 PM.

So the project has started.

- A 48v 5000 Victron Inverter Charger has been ordered.

- Two x 72 cell LG brand solar panels ordered. They are 6' x 3', connected in series to make 80 volts and weigh about 50lbs each. We will use the same ABS mounts that use on motor homes to secure to flybridge roof.

- Remove the old Furuno 32 volt 6' radar array from the flybridge roof. A pity because it works perfectly well. Replace with a Furuno First Watch Wifi / iPad radar. Radome will sit on a short Scanstrut and anchor light also shortened prevent shadowing of the panels.

- Reposition existing 96 cell 32 volt solar panel to flybridge roof.

- We have chosen oversize 6mm Twin plus Earth electrical wiring for the Victron and this is presently snaking its way from the port engine room to the genset room. The Victron and other accessories will be mounted to the forward bulkhead in the genset room. Removing the old Kohler has left lots of wall space.

- Ordered from what I hope will be a reputable supplier three 100ah 48 volt lithium batteries. I supersized myself partly because I watched this Youtube Video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEZ0AKeHJP0

- The marine electrician is coming on Friday to connect the AC Panel in the port engine room to the Victron. And then to work out how to connect the Victron output to take the place of the old Kohler #1 genset for running the dishwasher, fridge, stove and oven via the AC Panel #1 in the wheelhouse. A part of this is moving the power source for the Analytic Systems 32 volt battery charger from the wheelhouse AC Panel #1 to the AC Panel #3 in the starboard engine room. The sparky is connecting the Victron to a newer non-OEM circuit breaker system for all the AC lighting and power points.

- And then we are going to get rid of the 3 phase power that was installed 10 years ago when the boat came to Australia and go back to 2 x 15 amp 240v single phase. None of the marinas we go to have three phase power. The 90' long 3 phase power cable is simply too cumbersome. American Marinco type plugs and cables are different to the international / European version. If its possible to keep 3 phase and recreate the single phase systems we will look at that too.

48 v Battery Pack.JPG
    Each 48V battery pack will have a circuit breaker and oversized 250amp BMS.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 04-26-2021 at 02:53 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

The marine sparky arrived last week.

We took several hours to look at the wiring and panels and also to view the boat's electrical drawings. It all made sense in the end.

Here is what we are looking at:

- Single 24 volt solar panel (temporary until next year when we put the full solar farm on flybridge roof.
    - Rewire battery charger power from AC Panel in wheelhouse to AC Panel in starboard engine room.
    - Install 48v 5000w Multiplus 2 GX Inverter Charger (I would have preferred 24 volts but Victron do not do a 24v/5000w version)
    - Install Victron Auto Transformer to provide split phase 120v/120v specifically for Wheelhouse AC panel (only). The boat's existing lights and power outlets are not changed. AC panels in engine rooms are not affected. https://www.victronenergy.com/autotr...totransformers
    - Install all the various fuses, digital GX displays and solar regulators required.

Providing split phase 120v to the Wheelhouse AC panel will allow us to run limited stove, microwave, dishwasher, fridge and washing machine from the inverter and reduces genset running time. The main panel is itself appears to be 3 wire split phase for the three AC panels. Some items are 120v and others 240v.

I hope I have explained it all clearly enough. Sparky suggested terminology is perhaps a little different out here when describing single, two phase, split phase and three phase.

Anyway the sparky knew what it was all about and the fact Victron makes the AutoTransformer for the split phase make it all logical.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Just curious - how are you handling the heat generated by those lithium batteries? On my BMW i3 the batteries have their own cooling/heating system.