Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

24 Volt Lithium House Bank Upgrade- Silent Ship

Following the removal of the broken #1 Kohler genset, we now have extra floorspace in the genset room and new wall space on the front bulkhead. There is now only the 20Kva Phasor genset which meets all our power needs. So its time to start planning for next project.... the Silent Ship.

The plan is to:

- Install a 24 volt 300 or 400amp lithium battery bank in genset room,
    - Install 3000 watt inverter/charger in genset room
    - Install two 24 volt solar panels on flybridge roof
    - Reposition the existing 32 volt solar panel to flybridge roof
    - Remove the old 32 volt Furuno 6' radar array
    - Install compact Furuno Wifi Radar to flybridge roof

I guess there will be interconnectivity between the 32 volt house bank and the lithium battery house bank through DC converters and DC to DC chargers. But the 24 v lithium battery will mostly operate on its own with shore power, genset and solar charging.

+++

The purpose of the exercise is to reduce to a minimum the use of the genset and to provide the big refrigerator with at least 3 days power without sunshine. Also to power the ultrasonic antifoul system 24/7.

The opportunity exists to take most of the continuous load off the port side lead acid batteries, making them responsible only for bilge pumps and DC LED lighting.

+++

I'd love to hear your thoughts about this project which should be well underway by September.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-22-2021 at 01:19 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.