Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hynautic Engine Controls

My starboard transmission shifter at the lower helm has had a small leak for years and the upper helm will need to cycle some times after running awhile in order to shift.

Anyone know a tech in the Tampa Bay area that works on Hynautic Engine Controls?

An earlier thread discussed sending a hynautic unit to Southern Comfort in St. Petersburg which is near here. What would I remove and send to them?

Alternatively, Triton on 'Trying not to Sink' has Teleflex shifters using the same motors as me. What is the financial scope of that modification?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (43 MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Hynautic Engine Controls

Boat Steering Rebuilders Venice Florida. 941/484-6060
    Best I've ever used for steering rams ,steering Hynautic repairs Hynautic engine control rebuilders.
    If you have anything hydraulic on your boat they can fix it or actually make a replacement part.

My 41 Hatteras had those shifters and seems Salt crystals get into the shaft and grind up the o rings . Next thing is they start to leak. I found that there are brand new old stock still available from them and I think on Amazon. Company made two different shifters make sure you buy the correct ones .Not cheap but alternatives are not cheap either. FYI if you don't know already they take a special type of antifreeze instead of hydraulic fluid and its available from West Marine and several marine supply places on line. You do not want to contaminate the system with anything but the correct fluid. Hope this helps.

Southern Charm may be able to refer you to someone to remove and send to them. they did excellent work on my Hynautic rebuilds

http://boaterstore.com/

Its getting more and more difficult to get parts for the Hynautic shifters/throttles. Many are pulling them out and going to electric controls. I've been told that sometimes its cheaper than rebuilding.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We took down whole system at once and rebuilt 100% of the cylinders (at control stations and engines/trans), cleaned and renewed all components/seals on the reservoirs and the small manifold blocks (springs / poppet?). I know for sure that I bought all inventory of seals and spares from 2 companies in doing so. The key was in flushing - I found a Napa green coolant that is 99%+ the same chemical composition as the recommended Hynautic fluid at >75% discount (I'll take a pic when I'm back tonight) and you just have to keep flushing to get the crud out. The other important thing is to be 100% sure whoever you hire changes out the Schrader valves that are in the pistons (included in rebuild kit) - to skip that step would be the equivalent of hydraulic tech malpractice. Also spend a few bucks for the connectors to the transmission cylinder to put new springs, pawls and plastic (detents) on the connector. I had low cost labor (early days of Covid) and had all the parts on hand. High labor rates and parts markup variables could start to get you close to a decision vs. electronic controls. I suspect that at least 1 of the stations had been done one other time in the 30 year life of my vessel but I hope I'm OK for a while. Fisheries Supply in Seattle was awesome for all parts.