Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Asking the experts!

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Whichever one you buy, you’ll drop another $100k into it in the first year......
    Well, no, as I won't have anything extra to spend LOL. I'll be lucky to pack a lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    BUY it !
    Have you seen her?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Original or pretty old air cons... cruisair have been white for ... 20 years although on the plus side the old ones were much better
    Small fridge
    Weird seating on FB
    3500 hours
    Naturals... it’s a trawler.
    Personally I don’t like the galley cabinets but that’s personal

I think that s a nice $160k boat.
    I noticed the AC units too. 3,500 on naturals is no big deal, and they’re ideal for hull speed operating. Let’s face it, that’s where these things run 98% of the time regardless of power. Robby & Brenda’s boat got a tad over 1MPG with the same engines on the long trip south from Michigan.

I too think it’s overpriced, but you never know until you make an offer.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Bob, I don't know where you are, but those freshwater boats are always cleaner. And because the season is shorter, and because they frequently get stored indoors during the winter, they stay a lot cleaner.

As to which boat to buy, that's really hard. I've always felt you should figure out your needs and then buy the smallest boat that will do what you want, keeping in mind the idea that that might still be a BIG boat.

I sort of like the "tingle" theory- it kind of fits in with an idea I've had that when you look at a boat, or a car, or a house, or whatever, you can either mentally see yourself in it happily, or not. Of course if you find several you feel that way about, you have another dilemma.

I think condition and maintenance history sort of outweigh size and luxury items, but that's just me.

On my 1971 Hatteras, I still have an original blue CruiseAire unit- works fine. It was installed in 1970 when she was built. A lot of my boat is original. Sort of amazing, but they WERE very well made vessels.

I don't like the galley cabinets, either, and I think the price is too high, but as Bird said, you never know.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 03-20-2021 at 06:19 PM.

If she could be had for $240 would that be a reasonable price you think?

Thanks,
    Bob

Based on my years of keeping my eye on 53's and 58's leading up to last summer when I bought I'm with Pascal on this one. Maybe $175K But I have seen a LOT nicer boats for $250K
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Everything you guys are saying about the price being to high is correct in normal times, but these are not normal times. There is definitely a Covid price increase going on. A nice 53 just sold out in Los Angeles for around $275,000 that was probably about the same condition as this boat. If you notice on Yacht World most all the lower priced 53’s have sold and most of the boats left for sale are over $200,000.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Jim. I agree condition and maintenance are number 1 but you can’t tell from a listing. Cosmetic stuff, cabinets, flooring are cosmetics. Nothing else

Yea the blue cruisair last a long time but, I hate to say this, after 40+ years their time is up even up north

I just don’t think an earlier 53 with naturals and old FB windshield can fetch that price especially with that weird seating up there.

Yeah 3500 hours isn’t much on natural but ... 47 years of corrosion, etc. ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Personally having had a boat with galley down, i have two words: NEVER AGAIN

That’s why I did all the work to move the galley up in my 53!!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Have you seen her?
    Nope but she looks great in the photos!