Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Asking the experts!

O.K. I had a verbal negotiation on this last summer, and also a 58' but last summer couldn't get the financing. The 58 was 10k more but came with a nice tender, the 53 does not. The 58' I think is out of the question at this point as there are potential engine problems i.e. high lead readings, visible metal flakes in one of the transmissions, blisters, air conditioners of unknown - not working - might just need a recharge, and some high moisture content in some fiberglass areas....

Anyways, this 53 is immaculate, the best looking Hatteras we have been on by far.

Ideally I like galley up, open aft deck, and a cockpit. There is a 70 in Arkansas that has a beautiful galley up open to the salon, a smaller open aft deck and a cockpit, but no stabilizers or bow thruster. It is also listed at 299 which maybe I could swing if they would come down to 250.

There are two 67's in Texas that are galley up (but not open to the salon) with cockpit, both stabilized and bow thrusters, 12v71's. they are listed at I believe 289/299, so again maybe within reach depending on how negotiable the sellers are.

The out of state boats of course come with a 15-20k cost to deliver.

The 53 has the large enclosed aft deck but the windows can still be opened up for that open porch feeling, it is stabilized, no bow thruster. (bow thruster is lower on the priority list) It has naturals which I'm o.k. with due to the known longevity of the motors.

Do I give up looking for the perfect boat for "Me" or take the perfect boat below?
    Is she worth $240k (without tender) what will she sell for in 10 years if kept up?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this Hatteras and survey shows no issues, no blisters, the owner keeps her immaculate and leaves nothing in disrepair. I think most would say shows as new.

Do I pull the trigger or keep looking for the ideal dream boat that probably doesn't exist?

https://www.temptationyachtsales.com...higan-7426290/

Re: Asking the experts!

BUY it !

3. Re: Asking the experts!

I would first confirm the availability of dockage, and insurance when looking at old boats. And just for grins, have you priced out parts for Galley Maid, or what even used RIBs are selling for?

Then the availability of Captains young enough to maintain her. Just washing a boat that big is no easy thing.
    Last edited by Retired1; 03-20-2021 at 01:56 PM.

That 53 looks beautiful, the real thing is how did you feel stepping aboard her? We all have lists of what we want or think we want but it really comes down to is does the boat, as James May put it, give you a “tingle in your gentlemen’s area”. If it feels right and if you found yourself looking back at her as you walked the dock back to your car then it is the right boat regardless of the list.

As to future value, it is anyone’s guess but if you keep her in that condition you should do okay.

Just my thoughts, take with an appropriately sized grain of salt.
    Last edited by Jsherid1; 03-20-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Also, the 67’s have their galleys down at the “mid level”. Having been aboard both, neither is in the condition of that 53.

No matter which you choose you will put money into her to make it yours. Find the one you have to put the least into and that’s the one you will have the most enjoyment in. Last thing you want to do is rebuild two motors etc etc. go with your gut or better yet which ever one your wife wants. Lol
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Whichever one you buy, you’ll drop another $100k into it in the first year......
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Original or pretty old air cons... cruisair have been white for ... 20 years although on the plus side the old ones were much better
    Small fridge
    Weird seating on FB
    3500 hours
    Naturals... it’s a trawler.
    Personally I don’t like the galley cabinets but that’s personal

I think that s a nice $160k boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    BUY it !
    That's what the Admiral says. She is all about the 53.....

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    I would first confirm the availability of dockage, and insurance when looking at old boats. And just for grins, have you priced out parts for Galley Maid, or what even used RIBs are selling for?

Then the availability of Captains young enough to maintain her. Just washing a boat that big is no easy thing.
    Well dockage comes with the 53', boat is in a good area for us, he has a guy that washes it every week for him for $80, and indoor heated storage with the ability for access to the boat during the winter for "projects". No haven't priced parts for Galley Maid. Yeah tenders aren't cheap I've seen them in the area used for 5-10 K. Thinking I might just put my Jet ski up there instead?? (if we go that route.)