Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Diesel prices, what are you seeing? Predictions?

Prices for busy caribou at least $1 a gallon. It pays to call ahead . Here in Miami the barge is usually 0.20 higher than the trucks. Marinas are normally $1 more than the trucks

I haven’t had to Head north in the ditch for a while but usually the commercial dock in Fernandina, Osprey marina in myrtle and coojock/Norfolk had the best prices
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I keep hearing mention of trucks... your marinas let you bring trucks in? I would think any marina selling fuel would have an issue with that?

I don't think there are in fuel barges up hear in the north, that must be a southern area thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Unless you're motoring off into the sunset - if you're doing this yachting thing right you're probably going to spend more $$ on food and beverage than fuel. As always, YMMV.
    I typically burn 10-15000 gallons per year no it’s not the smallest expense
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Possible good news? https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditie...almost-6-years

Who knows what the future holds. But, one decent thesis is that crude prices are going to stabilize where they are. If they go much higher, fracking and alternative methods become profitable. Certain large produces don't want this, and they can profit plenty at $50-60 a barrel.

On the consumption side, I don't see demand going anywhere close to pre-2020 levels anytime soon. There just aren't as many airplanes, cars, and cruise ships consuming.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Interesting read. There is an unprecedented glut of idle supertankers out there, but no rush to the breakers.

https://gcaptain.com/supertankers-lo...vaccine-trade/
    This guy was big in tankers, and I think he closed the trade with a tiny profit: https://adventuresincapitalism.com/2...s-are-tanking/
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

As others said, fuel is not my biggest expense, which is ironic because when I was first looking for a Hatteras, I was most afraid of fuel costs. Slip, Bottom (Diving + Painting), Insurance, Fuel. Sometimes fuel will jump above insurance. Then there is project costs, like redoing the galley. The most annoying cost though is bottom maintenance.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I keep hearing mention of trucks... your marinas let you bring trucks in? I would think any marina selling fuel would have an issue with that?

I don't think there are in fuel barges up hear in the north, that must be a southern area thing...
    Our winter marina does not sell fuel, thus they have no issue with fuel deliveries to the docks.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Marinas that don’t sell fuel allow deliveries and usually get a cut. 0.10 to 0.20 a gallon.

The barge I use (Peterson Fuel) has 2 or 3 barges in SoFl, in Miami and FTL. In some marinas they go straight to the boats or they drop their spuds in a location where you can tie alongside

It s been a while I ve been north but I used to fuel at a barge in Newport RI. Cheaper than the docks.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

There used to be an outfit in Baltimore called Vane Brothers, who had a motorized fuel barge that would come to the marina, tie up and fill your tanks. I don't think there was a cut paid to the marina, but this marina did not have a fuel dock, so they didn't object.

Over $4 here in Ensenada and headed up.