Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post !984 45C w/ twin 525hp 6v92T

Hello experts! I can not find any reviews or performance specs for the Hatt 45 Convertible('84). If anyone owns or has first hand knowledge of this model could you please tell me what the normal cruise speed, max speed, fuel consumption and prop used for this boat as originally came from the factory? Is that model more of a sport fish hull/performance or a cruising yacht? I already own a 52' CPMY so know all about that one... Thank's for all opinions!

Re: !984 45C w/ twin 525hp 6v92T

Hello,

My 45C is a 1987 with 6v92TA, 550hp, but my numbers may help you get an idea. We cruise at 1850 rpm's, 18.5-18.8 knots and burn about 2 gallons per mile. This is the performance we are getting right now. Also note, my boat has a tuna tower which should add some drag.

From my build sheet, the boat originally came with 1.5 ratio Allison Trans and 26x28 props. This apparently changed, over the life of the boat as it now has Twin Disc trans, at 1.71 to 1 and uses 28x28 props.

Hope this helps.
    JCG
    Last edited by JCG-PR; 03-15-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: correct typo error.

Thanks for the information. Those numbers help. The 18-19 kts speed and fuel burn generally validates what I have been told by a broker but had no other verification. Seems to fall more in line with a cruising yacht instead of a sport fish yacht as far as its performance. The SF boats where we are can generally cruise at 25 kts doing 1800 rpm. I will try to find out what prop is on this particular boat. The 28x28 should improve cruise I would think!

Great information

Quote Originally Posted by KJScott View Post
    Thanks for the information. Those numbers help. The 18-19 kts speed and fuel burn generally validates what I have been told by a broker but had no other verification. Seems to fall more in line with a cruising yacht instead of a sport fish yacht as far as its performance. The SF boats where we are can generally cruise at 25 kts doing 1800 rpm. I will try to find out what prop is on this particular boat. The 28x28 should improve cruise I would think!
    I've heard of people cruising these regularly at 1950 rpm, one is a Bertram 43 in our marina, and that would bring me up to about 20 knots, but I don't like pushing them. I believe the speed is usual for the year/age of the boat. May not be "fast", but the ride is nice and dry!

My family used to own a Hatteras Cockpit Motoryach that cruised at about 11 knots, so for me 18-19 knots is a nice increase. jeje

Good luck!
    JCG

LOL! Our intent is to “downsize” from the ‘93 52’ CMY that we own now. With a clean hull and pushing the 8V92T to 1950 revs will get it up to maybe 15 kts, so anything close to 20 kts with half the fuel burn is improvement in my book! I’ll take the ride and sea keeping ability of the Hatt over the faster Vikings and Bertram’s any day.

I think at the time the boat you you refer to was built, 15-20 kts cruise was considered adequate for convertibles. You could not sell a new convertible or SF with that kind of performance, now.

If that's the series 2 45C that you have, there is a lot of performance potential in that boat. Examples repowered with Cummins M11s will cruise well over thirty knots.

8. Re: !984 45C w/ twin 525hp 6v92T

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I think at the time the boat you you refer to was built, 15-20 kts cruise was considered adequate for convertibles. You could not sell a new convertible or SF with that kind of performance, now.

If that's the series 2 45C that you have, there is a lot of performance potential in that boat. Examples repowered with Cummins M11s will cruise well over thirty knots.
    Truth. I remember seeing a plaque on the helm of a large motoryacht from the day, warning that “18 knots is faster than you are used to, so check charts regularly “. Heck, big Magnums, which were considered “super high performance” ran only in the mid 20’s in the 80’s.
    Just remembered that I took a photo of the plaque, and that it was on a 56’ Huckins at Plaza Venetia, where I once had offices. Remembered that I walked the roll of film across the street to the Omni, waited an hour to see the photo I took, then went home, put it in a box with the thousands of other boat photos. Then in 2018 threw them all away....because DIGITAL and instant now, and never in over 30 something years did I go back and look at any of those paper prints which took up a whole closet, and weighed a good 75 lbs. I like now.
    Last edited by Retired1; 03-16-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

To repower would cost around $60k per engine! In today’s market these boats are only worth 60-75k.

Quote Originally Posted by KJScott View Post
    To repower would cost around $60k per engine! In today’s market these boats are only worth 60-75k.
    That is I bit optimistic. Last summer I was quoted nearly 140k for a pair of QSM11S with gears. And that was just the irony in a crate. Add in upping the shaft size and props plus install, and you are well north of 200k.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau