Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Any one ever ship a boat from overseas to the US like from Italy? Wondering about $

There are some beautiful boats on Yacht World, not Hatteras but amazing looking for around $300k

Just wondering if anyone would have any experience with the cost of such a move.

They have some 60-75 footers that "look" much less expensive than could be found here.
    Possibly due to exchange rates, I don't know.

Thoughts on cost?

Re: Any one ever ship a boat from overseas to the US like from Italy? Wondering about

From where? Most boats from Europe will need a massive electrical redo to be compatible with US power. Not a small job...

Shipping across the pond runs about $1000 a foot... a little less when lifted on cargo decks by crane plus likely 2% custom duties (possibly more because of recent trade disputes)

Then you have some odd ball designs and systems which will be more difficult to service, and possibly lower resale values on unknown yards.

Not saying it s not worth it but it has to be a really good deal
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Any one ever ship a boat from overseas to the US like from Italy? Wondering about

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    From where? Most boats from Europe will need a massive electrical redo to be compatible with US power. Not a small job...

Shipping across the pond runs about $1000 a foot... a little less when lifted on cargo decks by crane plus likely 2% custom duties (possibly more because of recent trade disputes)

Then you have some odd ball designs and systems which will be more difficult to service, and possibly lower resale values on unknown yards.

Not saying it s not worth it but it has to be a really good deal
    These particular ones were in Italy..
    Good point on the electrical, they use different plugs and voltages etc.

It would be particularly MORE disappointing to drop 2k on plane tickets to find out the boats don't look as good as the pictures, as I have found typical here. Yikes, that would be a roller coaster ride trying to find one over there. But maybe worth it who knows. It will be interesting to hear any stories from others that may have or did not work out!

I've wondered the same thing (about Euro-Hatteri)--I wonder to what extent they did customize the electrical system or did they fit a transformer of some type on the shore power connection. One way to get a clue might be to see if you can spot any outlets on board in the photos as if they are US style that might suggest a more straightforward "federalization" process.

The last time I as at the Hatteras factory, they had a big MY there that they were trying to get rid of. Apparently, the European buyer backed out and it was all wired for 50hz. It sat in the water there awaiting someone to buy her and it had been there for some time. The electrical changes were what was hindering the sale.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It s not an easy job. Changing electrical outlets is the east part. Gens can be adjusted to 60Hz easily by bringing RPMs to 1800 instead of 1500. Problem is voltage of all the appliances which have to be replaced incl air cons. One issue is that euro 240v is completely different from our 240v. Ours is two hots at 120v... theirs is a single hot at 240v and a neutral. Completely incompatible.

You can install a transformer/converter which will allow US boat to connect to euro shore power and vice versa but that’s about $30k for 100 amp service. It’s good when traveling over but not as a permanent solution since anything brought on the boat would have to be euro standard. Imagine shopping for a fridge replacement here but needing euro power. Heck it s hard about to replace the fridge on a boat !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for all the input and interesting info on the electrical!

I'm thinking the deals aren't that good to make it worth it.

8. Re: Any one ever ship a boat from overseas to the US like from Italy? Wondering about

There’s a guy who posts under the name Older Boater (although he’s not) on Yachtforums (6311 posts) and B&B on Trawlerforums (19,807 posts) who knows THE answer to any and every question about anything in the world who would be very happy to answer your question-in detail while also managing to tell you how wealthy he is.