Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Live aboard slips in Florida

Looking for recommendations on live aboard marinas in Florida or private docks. We are relocating to Florida from the Boston area. We are finding it quite difficult to find anything.

Re: Live aboard slips in Florida

Florida is pretty big... SOFL, west coast, north central?

In SoFl dockage is a problem especially over 50. Most private docks do not allow liveaboards because of zoning issues.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Good afternoon! We ran into similar issues but settled on the Fort Myers area because of large selection of marinas that welcome liveaboards. If you're interested check out the Waterway Guide reviews, or PM me and I will be glad to tell you what I know about the marinas in our area including the one we're living in and love.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Florida is pretty big... SOFL, west coast, north central?

In SoFl dockage is a problem especially over 50. Most private docks do not allow liveaboards because of zoning issues.
    Thanks, we are open to any location.

5. Re: Live aboard slips in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by elec6143 View Post
    Thanks, we are open to any location.
    In that case, you have a lot more work to do than simply finding a marina. There is a HUGE difference between, say, the Destin/Pensacoloa area and the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area; Jacksonville/St. Augustine is vastly different from the Keys; Tampa Bay is different from Ft. Pierce/Stuart. Narrow down your choices on population density, costs-of-living, urban/rural, distance to airports, shopping, cultural outlets, and climate. Then start looking for marinas. Active Captain and Waterways Guide are good places to start once you've narrowed your search.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Here in SoFl the only affordable marinas which accepts liveaboards is the city of Miami run Dinner Key Marina. Long wait list though.

Prime Marina, also in the grove, allows LAs but about $40/50 a foot per month on annual contract. Same price range at Miami Beach marina. County marinas do not allow LAs or even sleeping on boats at some locations.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

7. Re: Live aboard slips in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by elec6143 View Post
    Looking for recommendations on live aboard marinas in Florida or private docks. We are relocating to Florida from the Boston area. We are finding it quite difficult to find anything.
    Boston?! I was going to say that Florida is full, but upon second thought, I recommend the Pensacola/Orange Beach Alabama area- just for the amusement factor of y’all trying to understand each others English. Lol
    Last edited by Retired1; 03-07-2021 at 06:20 PM.

8. Re: Live aboard slips in Florida

Another thought to consider; getting an annual slip is going to be harder that a seasonal or monthly one. When we first moved aboard full time, we were limited to seasonal rental slips while waiting for an annual slip to become available. So, we moved several times a year. Being retired, this wasn't much of a problem. We enjoyed all areas of the state from the Keys to Ft. Meyers, to Titusville, Ft. Pierce, Jacksonville, Hollywood, Lauderdale and the upper Gulf areas from Orange Beach to Destin and Pensacola. We eventually settled in the Keys [Islamorada] before deciding to sell the live aboard and move ashore. Lots to consider.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Monthly or seasonal can be as much as 30% more expensive...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    Another thought to consider; getting an annual slip is going to be harder that a seasonal or monthly one. When we first moved aboard full time, we were limited to seasonal rental slips while waiting for an annual slip to become available. So, we moved several times a year. Being retired, this wasn't much of a problem. We enjoyed all areas of the state from the Keys to Ft. Meyers, to Titusville, Ft. Pierce, Jacksonville, Hollywood, Lauderdale and the upper Gulf areas from Orange Beach to Destin and Pensacola. We eventually settled in the Keys [Islamorada] before deciding to sell the live aboard and move ashore. Lots to consider.

Thanks, there is a lot to consider.