Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Painting question top sides spray, roll or brush?

Just curious how top side painting is handled, is it a spray job, roll or brush?
    I guess I'm wondering if it can be a DIY project and still get professional results?

Thanks!

Re: Painting question top sides spray, roll or brush?

A year ago I would have told you spraying is the only way to go. Then the guy that has done my varnish work for a few years told me he could roll and tip and make it look as good as a spray job. I doubted him, but he showed me a 80 Lazzara he did and it looked great. We gave him a shot and had him do my parents 40' express and it came out great. He charged just under $12,000 to paint the hull and top sides on that boat. Since he did so good on that one I have him starting on my boat this week. I have a 61 Davis and the quote to do the topsides and varnish work is $11,800. If i took it to a yard to be sprayed it would probably cost $40,000. It is something that can be done yourself but from what I saw watching them it's something that takes a lot of practice to get good at it.

In most cases it is hard to shield other objects from overspray in most marina settings, and I don't gust mean your objects.

Spray would be my first choice. For decks you could roll and brush. The prep is the hard part.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

My 53 was rolled and tipped back in the late 90s and it looked really good

It’s pretty impossible to do a spray job in a marina so boat would have to be moved to a yard... that alone is a couple of months of storage. It all adds up. A good roll n tip job is 95% of the result but for 30% of the cost... I m going this route In a few months when I redo mine... much needed
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
    A year ago I would have told you spraying is the only way to go. Then the guy that has done my varnish work for a few years told me he could roll and tip and make it look as good as a spray job. I doubted him, but he showed me a 80 Lazzara he did and it looked great. We gave him a shot and had him do my parents 40' express and it came out great. He charged just under $12,000 to paint the hull and top sides on that boat. Since he did so good on that one I have him starting on my boat this week. I have a 61 Davis and the quote to do the topsides and varnish work is $11,800. If i took it to a yard to be sprayed it would probably cost $40,000. It is something that can be done yourself but from what I saw watching them it's something that takes a lot of practice to get good at it.
    Hull and top side for $12,000 on a 40 ft. boat that sounds like a great price, way less than what I have been hearing. My guess is the numbers others have been talking are spray numbers.

Thanks for the input!

I assume "roll and tip" means roll and brush correct?

The new no tipping products from Alexseal look promising, not sure how its going to weather. A lot of real unbiased videos on Youtube. I will attach an a/b test. https://youtu.be/aO2u2RShmZs
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 03-07-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    The new no tipping products from Alexseal look promising, not sure how it going to weather. Alot of real unbiased videos on Youtube. I will attach an a/b test. https://youtu.be/aO2u2RShmZs
    Well that sure explains it well. It also looks like a lot of work!

I have been rolling and tipping LP paint for years, myself and a friend did my hull in the water at the dock and it came out pretty good, not perfect. It is definitely not a job for a first timer, proper thinning and accelerating for the conditions takes lots of experience and wind and moisture are not your friends.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Well that sure explains it well. It also looks like a lot of work!
    Recently he took a little sailboat and preps it and paints in about a 50 minute video with the intent of doing a detailed review of a real project. He talks about how he cut some corners, but I was thinking, that's a still a lot of work!
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 03-08-2021 at 05:41 PM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's