Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Air Conditioning

So, question for anyone with a 43DC that has replaced their split cruise air system with individual self contained units...

I have found a few posts wherein the salon air handler was replaced with a 16k self contained unit, and that seems straight forward, good access, etc...

What I am wondering though, is what did you do with the other unit/s?

Current setup is two 16kbtu units one going to a single air handler in the salon, starboard wall, and the other is split between a 10k and 6k, aft and fwd, respectively.

In my area there aren't really people to work on stuff like that, and while in theory I like the setup that I have, I think it makes more sense to replace with something that is more easily serviceable.

Thanks!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Air Conditioning

Hi there. Not sure if this will match what you're looking for but here's what I did. I have a 54' with 4 zones running the Crusair splits like you described. Right now the salon unit(s) is the only one running. When the Galley/V-berth compressor seized, I pulled the shelving out of the V-berth hanging locker - there's a box opening in the back of the locker. I was able to run new hoses and power for a Marineair 9K BTU unit and install it in that box. I ran a vent splitter and connected to the galley and V-berth original duct/vents, and eliminated the old split system altogether. I have the pump in my generator room with the raw water hose and discharge lines, as well as the condensate drain coming up thru the deck into the locker. In order to simplify the electric, I gutted out the old Crusair control box using the 220V in/terminal block to connect the new unit so it's still on the same breaker. At this point there are no electrical connections other than the new unit. I skipped their install kit and bought my hose and fittings locally. I repurposed the pump that was previously supplying the galley/V-berth unit anyway, so the only change was dropping the new pump wiring from the unit control box in the locker thru same opening. Local vendors all say the old Crusair units aren't economically repairable for anything more than freon leaks at the service valves. Whole job took me about 2 days. Their recommendation is pull the old units (compressor, air handlers) and scrap them. One of my neighbors took a compressor and 2 handlers to local scrap yard, getting $3 whole dollars for the lot ... PM me if you'd like pictures. This was my first time doing an install but I'm already mapping out install of similar unit for the aft stateroom/midships. Based on BTU need calculation, same size unit will handle those 2 compartments as well.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Yea, pretty much what I am thinking to do, just I noticed in all of the threads about people replacing the salon AC in their 43DCs, no one mentions replacing the other cabin units.

Thanks for the details!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Brett, I added a 9K unit on the floor of the master closet on my 43.
    Cut into lower portion of the door for the return vent. And ran the supply strait up to the existing vent above the door. For redundancy sake I added a 2nd raw water pump and strainer adjacent to the raw water through hull that previously fed the master head. (Converted it to fresh). In retrospect the 9K is probably too big, even here in Fl.
    Very happy otherwise with the conversion.
    Capt. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
    Brett, I added a 9K unit on the floor of the master closet on my 43.
    Cut into lower portion of the door for the return vent. And ran the supply strait up to the existing vent above the door. For redundancy sake I added a 2nd raw water pump and strainer adjacent to the raw water through hull that previously fed the master head. (Converted it to fresh). In retrospect the 9K is probably too big, even here in Fl.
    Very happy otherwise with the conversion.
    Capt. Rob
    We were in the same boat as far as the 9K unit but after measuring the 2 compartments the unit would be cooling/heating, we were too big for the 6K, and about 80% there for the 9K unit. While it is not running a lot at the moment (because we're in a cold snap here) we found during the 24hour run-in that it cooled both compartments nicely. I didn't worry about redundancy on the raw water pump, but my condensate drain line is teed into the overboard discharge so all water goes overboard. The box alcove in the back of the Vberth closet made an ideal mount with easy leadouts for the 2 duct connections, 1 for Vberth and 1 for galley. I talked to 2 different vendors and they both said for spaces this size they have had to install or retrofit 9K units because high summer will really test anything smaller. For master stateroom and midships, we're going to install 9K in back of master hanging locker where existing airhandler is, connecting to existing vents and running a single vent thru the bulkhead into midships stateroom.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL