Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Air in Racor

Re: Air in Racor

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    How much is several inches? 2-3” down is normal ops.
    I guess I should actually measure it Robert. I believe the pickup point on the outflow tube in the Racor 900 is 4” down from the edge, and I think I’m close to that. My other Racor is full right to the top of the filter.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: Air in Racor

Hopefully closing out this thread, the shutdown problem seems to be resolved. I was suspicious of the ancient fuel lines, having read many threads about their contribution to fuel flow problems. So, half a boat buck or so later, I have 3 shiny new soft hoses on each side. Primed the engines, ran for 1/2 hr without a hiccup. Like before, the port Racor is down 3 1/2”, stbd down 1”. At this point, I’m accepting that as “normal” for each engine. I dissected the 2 Aeroquip hoses (unfortunately, discarded the Cat hose earlier) from the port side, and found the ID’s quite a bit smaller than nominal. The -10 (5/8”) hose measured 7/16”, and the -8 (1/2”) measured 3/8”. If my math is correct, that’s a 25% reduction in cross-section, not insignificant. For all I know, that reduction could have occurred in the first week after installation 35 yrs ago, but I’m thinking it’s a gradual phenomenon. My theory in this case is a combination of a near-end-of-life secondary filter, higher than designed pressure drop across those hoses, and the long lift from the aft tank combined to starve the engine. If that’s right, it should be smooth sailing now...until the next time. Thanks for all the responses.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL