Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Very odd but interesting Hatteras, does anyone have any inside info on this?

That's probably for the best, that boat isn't going anywhere.

Re: Very odd but interesting Hatteras, does anyone have any inside info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsherid1 View Post
    A little Googling turned up this...

https://abingtonnews.org/2020/06/30/...-rape-charges/

The owner deserves to be UNDER the Prison. He messed with very young girls and as a father I hope he meets a truly ugly fate in Prison.

Whoever buys that boat may indirectly benefit the guy so there is that to think about.
    Agreed, and for that reason I wouldn't want to be part of any proceeds going to that guy.
    $1.00 Final Offer!

Good bones?

Well, I have pronounced a lot of people dead whose bones were still fine. Nothing else was, though.

Ugly boat and uglier story. Run like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Owners criminal history and questionable tastes aside, I wouldn’t offer more than $50k on this thing... no survey, no sea trial, no walk thru before signing a contract???

You have to assume the worst incl full mechanical rebuild. There are also some water damage in the master near the floor

Calling this interesting is very generous. I don’t like dark hulls but some folks do. Painting the whole window area black isn’t that bad, although dated. The black paint along the FB edge is over the top though.

Black chairs and black dock box in the sun... better wear on nomex fire suit.
    I agree with Pacal 100% on this one.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Five years ago, the broker called us back on the fourth day and accepted our crazy offer for our boat in Australia. The only condition was that I wanted to see the engines and gearboxes running. Anything else could be dealt with.

I think its the same scenario for this black beauty, the current owner has spent a fortune on the cosmetics as hideous as they are. It is unlikely that the engines were let go and were just underutilised, but would need a service. Any new owner is going to take it straight to the paint shop.

Offer them $50,000 and see what happens.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-06-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Holy smokes, Scott. Wishing you luck on this one, you will need it.

Hi Jim,

I wrote that post several hours ago on my iphone, but could not edit it in time before your response. No, I've not made an offer on the American Black Beauty. (Original post now edited.)

I've just spent the best part of five years fixing my own "bargain" boat. I'm certainly not going to start again.

Seriously, and cosmetic issues aside, that black boat has a nice cockpit, good lines, and has had lots of money spent on it over the years. Were I to make an offer, I would only look at the mechanicals and if sound proceed with a $50,000 offer. The engine room looks the best part of the boat.

I'm not sure what a respray costs in America. The interior woodwork could be resprayed or taken back to natural timber. Bathrooms can be sorted out pretty quick as the original cabinetry carcasses are all there.

Yes its a project, but get all the current owners junk out, strip each room and start each afresh. I do know that apart from the paint shop I would also engage someone to do the heavy lifting, cleaning, and paint stripping so that there would be a level platform to start on. If you got all the groundwork done immediately and spent $10,000 on grunt labour to do this, then your off to a great start.

Again if the engines are good, then its all cosmetic.

(With regards to the water staining in the OSR, I think they left the port holes open when tied alongside a wharf during a big storm. It flooded the room. Or a tap in the kitchen flooded the bench and that's where the water flowed. Same on my boat)
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-06-2021 at 07:41 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Hi Jim,

I wrote that post several hours ago on my iphone, but could not edit it in time before your response. No, I've not made an offer on the American Black Beauty. (Original post now edited.)

I've just spent the best part of five years fixing my own "bargain" boat. I'm certainly not going to start again.

Seriously, and cosmetic issues aside, that black boat has a nice cockpit, good lines, and has had lots of money spent on it over the years. Were I to make an offer, I would only look at the mechanicals and if sound proceed with a $50,000 offer. The engine room looks the best part of the boat.

I'm not sure what a respray costs in America. The interior woodwork could be resprayed or taken back to natural timber. Bathrooms can be sorted out pretty quick as the original cabinetry carcasses are all there.

Yes its a project, but get all the current owners junk out, strip each room and start each afresh. I do know that apart from the paint shop I would also engage someone to do the heavy lifting, cleaning, and paint stripping so that there would be a level platform to start on. If you got all the groundwork done immediately and spent $10,000 on grunt labour to do this, then your off to a great start.

Again if the engines are good, then its all cosmetic.

(With regards to the water staining in the OSR, I think they left the port holes open when tied alongside a wharf during a big storm. It flooded the room. Or a tap in the kitchen flooded the bench and that's where the water flowed. Same on my boat)
    I have to agree, the ugliness could be fixed, if that is, one was interested in a project.
    The "Who owns the boat currently" is a big question and a moral issue. I wouldn't feel very good about any proceeds going to a sex offender who would use his money to pay his lawyer.

Does anyone know how to find out who the true owner is? Perhaps I should just email the broker and flat out ask? I'm guessing that would result in either no response, and if it does, is there some sort of boat registry out there that a boat can be looked up on?

I would leave the hull and superstructure black, up in Michigan that wouldn't be as big an issue. The interior can be updated.

I hear all the time about $1,000,000 refits, frankly I think those numbers are blown out of proportion, or they can be real, but real for people that have the money to blow and don't put much effort into finding ways to do it for less.

I know of a 53 that has been redone top to bottom, looks brand new and the guy only spent $120k
    New headliner, new fiber glass aft end enclosure with good windows, new kitchen, new cabinets, new everything. It can be done. It's just a matter of having the imagination to know what a before and after can look like. I grew up with parents with vision that bought, renovated houses and flipped them, or turned them into rentals. So I have seen what can be done.
    I guess what I am saying is there are believers and non believers. It's a choice, I respect both choices.

The problem with Buying these boats cheap is there is always some fool out there that will pay a stupid high price for them. I made an offer on a 70 Ed MY that was having one new engine installed at the time(new long block), but needed everything else redone, including paint. I offered $50,000 with add on amounts for any major systems they could prove were working properly, like $10,000 for functioning stabilizers, so much for functioning electronics, Ac’s etc. The broker laughed at me and the boat sat on the market for about a year and some fool bought it for $ 150,000. Just to get it to any normal level you would have to spend $200,000 and then have a boat that might be worth $250,000. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

To paint the boat would start at about 150k for a “budget” job....