Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

2002 65 hatteras

Hi,

Looking at 2002 65 hatteras enclosed bridge with the Cat 3412 motors. Looking to see what the cruise and top end of that boat are? Any known issues with the boat? How does it ride in heavy seas? Anything to be aware of? Comparing it to a 2002 Viking 61 EB with MTU 12v2000s.

Re: 2002 65 hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by Regal2800 View Post
    Hi,

Looking at 2002 65 hatteras enclosed bridge with the Cat 3412 motors. Looking to see what the cruise and top end of that boat are? Any known issues with the boat? How does it ride in heavy seas? Anything to be aware of? Comparing it to a 2002 Viking 61 EB with MTU 12v2000s.
    I cannot comment of your other questions but as to CATS versus MTUs, I would buy a boat with Cats before a boat with MTUs. I have owned boats with Cats and had no problems. I have 2 friends with Vikings with MTUs and they both have had problems. I definitely go with the Cat 3412 motors.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Regal2800 View Post

Looking at 2002 65 Hatteras enclosed bridge with the Cat 3412 motors. Looking to see what the cruise and top end of that boat are? Any known issues with the boat? How does it ride in heavy seas? Anything to be aware of? Comparing it to a 2002 Viking 61 EB with MTU 12v2000s.
    Having worked for Cat for 30 years all around the world I am prejudiced, of course, and would recommend Cats. The main reason is the you can get service anywhere you go, and I mean anywhere. Cat has a distribution service and parts outlets in every country (except perhaps N. Korea) and every major city and most smaller locations. I ran two of these distributors (Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Caymans, and Taiwan), and provided about the same level of service that you might find in Miami. If you have a destination, go to the website, look up the place and you are almost certain to find the contact information for a Cat dealer. We saw a lot of large Vikings, Bertrams and Hatteras come through the Bahamas for the off-shore sail fishing tournaments, and the vast majority had Cats. The 3512 was a common engine that we serviced, along with Cat generators.

What boat offers more of what you want. Lay-out, windows and use ability.
    IMO, this should be the greatest concern.

I lean to the 3412s also. But that does not mean much, I was in an environment where I worked on a lot of them.
    The last couple of years of my company, we did run some boats with MTUs and met up with some service techs. After looking over a few MTU tech shoulders I was exposed to a some light to heavy MTU service work. Here I was reminded, Engines all work the same. I was not so shy of them afterwards.
    Service to both are everywhere.
    There are many DD/MTU shops around.

Which boat works best for you, has the better installations of options, equipment, service access to the engines (what ever brand), safe / easy access to decks from the dock (water) and does your tail feathers fit in/on the living spaces well.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-04-2021 at 12:07 PM.

The Viking is 30 + knot cruise boat , I doubt the Hat is , probably more like 22-25 knot ........Pat

Viking will be faster than the Hatteras, Hatteras will ride better when it's rough.
    Don't think a 2002 Viking 61EB is cruising @30knts with the MTU !2v2000's @ 1480hp, but it will be faster than a 65' EB Hatteras with 1400hp engines.
    Both are good boats, not looking at any Hatteras 60 EB's?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Viking will be faster than the Hatteras, Hatteras will ride better when it's rough.
    Don't think a 2002 Viking 61EB is cruising @30knts with the MTU !2v2000's @ 1480hp, but it will be faster than a 65' EB Hatteras with 1400hp engines.
    Both are good boats, not looking at any Hatteras 60 EB's?
    there are a lot of 61 viking eb, but not many hatteras 60 eb.