Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Oil sample question on a boat that is for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Hi guys, I have a boat I am interested in, not going to say what boat for the sake of the seller.

Here is what I know: Oil has not been changed in 10 years, reportedly the boat has had very little use during that time. Exact hours are not know but assuming "guessing" maybe 100 or 200 hours.
    Based on the condition of the boat, the owner is not one to let things go.

One engine showed high lead content that raised a red flag.

One transmission showed visible metal flakes in the oil, but otherwise the reading were o.k.

Looking for you opinions, I am not sure if anything positive or negative could be drawn from this.

It almost seems that all oils would have to be changed, run the boat for 100 hours then recheck all the oils to get any definitive results.

Do I make a move on this boat? If all is well, then great! If all is not well, I could be looking at $30k motor rebuild and $15k (guess) transmission rebuild. Does this sound logical?

Your thoughts?

Thank you!
    I would think if in 10 years they haven't done an oil change they haven't done anything else either. I would think a responsible owner would change the oil at least. I'd be scared to death of this boat.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

you will have to get this boat very cheap to make it worth it. it is going to need a lot of stuff done after sitting for 10 years.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Notable lead in the oil is pretty serious.
    Zero that engine. Bearings are gone.
    Even if you rebuild the block, all the hang on stuff will need updating also.
    When finished, you just put together another OLD engine.

You did not indicate if magnetic or non-magnetic flakes in the clutches.
    Non-magnetic from the packs, magnetic from the chunk.
    Clutches may be salvageable, here your still just patching them.
    The newer ZFs are so much better.
    Better yet with a down angle.

Old gas gen-set? UG, you really want to risk lives?

From what I have read, keep walking or win the LOTTO.

I recomend new power with fuel injection and all new ancillaries. With new clutches. All with warranties and maybe you can get some reliable time on her this year (pending the rest of the boats survey).
    New FI gen-set also.

Is re-powering with diesels way out of the question?

Not only do I enjoy spending other peoples money, I like to hear they came back safe.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-03-2021 at 09:56 PM.

I had an insurance survey done today, and it went very well. This guy was an old salt and I asked him what he usually sees. "10 year old boats are the worst. owners think they are cars and do nothing. boats this age? ignored maintenance , since there is not a light or alarm to remind anyone."
    10 years on oil in mains and gen??? 2 maybe. perhaps 5 on trans if low hours. would be concerned of corrosion inside from high relative humidity and no oil coating the metal.
    Like the idea of changing the oil. running an hour or 2 and lab testing the sample, and cut the filters and check for metal. any high metals in sample or filter...deduct for rebuild. IMHO. There are actual experts on this board, but this is my $0.02..
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Metal flakes in the transmission is bad news . Take my word . The bearing are going bad. 30,000. Later it was rebuilt .

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    you will have to get this boat very cheap to make it worth it. it is going to need a lot of stuff done after sitting for 10 years.
    Heck, sometimes the boat needs a bunch after sitting overnight!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

If it's making metal... run Forest run!

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    If it's making metal... run Forest run!
    As much as I like this boat, I think you may be right.

Thank you all for the input.

I think the thing to do here is let put the effort into proving all these potential issues are not issues. Let them change the oil, run the boat under load, log the hours, get more oil samples, document everything, prove it's all good.
    If I wait around for this process to take place, which could not even start until things thaw out, then
    I won't be into a boat for another year.

There is so much potentially wrong here that I think they need to step in and either prove there are not issues or drastically adjust the price. I think at this point going in with a low offer to offset potential repairs would just anger the owner and cause bad vibes. I don't want to do that for sure.

There are lot's of others out there without issues in the same price range that are nice boats that won't need 50 or 60k cash infusions and months in a yard getting repairs made.

Thank you all for your input!

If there is notable lead in the oil, the damage has happened. Changing the oil is not going to fix damaged or deteriorated bearings.
    It may run but a spun bearing should not be a surprise when it happens.
    Same for the clutches.
    Aerosol overhauls don't work either.
    It's still a pig with the best lip-stick.

If you have a hard-on for the boat, make that real low offer and get to work, you may get some use out of the new engines this year.

Don't worry about upsetting the owner. He is the owner that let the machinery go here to begin with and he knows it.
    He may unload it instead of purchasing lots of lip-stick and paying a tech to apply it.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-04-2021 at 03:21 PM.