Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What is the “norm” for buying a boat in the Great Lakes area in the winter?

It's like the moment you think to yourself: "Should I put on a life vest?" The answer is "Yes". Right now.

If you're not comfortable with the way the seller and broker are trying to stack the deck and you ask yourself "Should I walk?" "Yes".

"How it's done" is not gonna pull your chestnuts out of the fire when it gets too hot.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    No way Jose... but what do I know about buying procedures up north
    I think there is a boat here on pier 7 homeported in one of the frozen state... you may want to ask the owner. She must know.

it s too much of a gamble for my taste. How much money in escrow and who will arbitrate any disagreement ? It may be how it s done up there but I wouldn’t. I d rather wait till spring and do it right.
    Ditto on "No way, Jose". Two Sea Trials approaches:
    Me, rookie buyer, in 1997 of my '72 43'DCFB, bought sight unseen, after driver to Wisc from Mich:
    "Well, the engines started and Diesels sound nice. She floats, but we never got above Hull Speed" Hatts are big, even the "little" 43, and going aboard and getting underway, made me nervous first few years!
    Thankfully it was a very reputable broker and we ran across Lk Mich to Mack City, no issues, in nice June seas.

Me, now old grizzled 25 year boater: Splash the boat. Sits in the Slings.
    Observe: Heads down in every cranny, pull all the hatches over everything, bright flashlight in hand, check for water leaks, rudder stocks, shaft stuffing boxes, etc. Checking all fluid levels and oils.
    Pre-Sea Trial: Check all controls, all stations.
    Start engines, observe all gauges and pressures. Note: Engines should be at ambient temperature, not pre-run. Re-check electricals that were checked on the hard.
    Sea Trial: Pull out, no more that Hull Speed, until engines are fairly warm; oil pressure never under 50, after 900 rpm or so. Bring up on plane (Hatt def- big hole in water, but faster). Run at cruise, set the tabs (do they work), observe water temps and exhausts for smoke and water flow. Run on the pins for a few minutes and observe oil pressures and esp. water temps, rising or not. Make turns and observe response to helm.

Anyway, I sure support the "deposit and no pay", until address issues!

My 2cw...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

What escrow company would you use ?

I'm from Michigan and as to the original question... That is NOT how its done up here. what you have is a pushy selling broker, and a bull shitter. it would make me suspicious.

My friends took note of the advice, and decided to wait until May to continue with the purchase process and decided not to be pushed into closing in a “backwards” fashion. I was so happy to hear they had pushed back and will do it the right way, now.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com