Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Up (21) or down (17.5) on Genny

Looking at new Generators to replaced the old Onan MDL4 20kW GenSet that has served us very well over the years. It appears Phasor either has a 17.5kW or 21kW option. I could make an argument either way....interested in experiences from those who have made the swap. What’s the thinking on new generator and minimum load? The generator we have at the house will actually idle down from 1800 to 900 adjusting for load. Do the new Marine GenSets do the same? Thanks.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Up (21) or down (17.5) on Genny

I replaced my 20kw Onan with a 15kw. I have never overloaded it. I see no need to go bigger.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My 20 KW was replaced by 15 KW as well. I think the 20 KW was a little overkill when it was first installed. The 15 KW does more than what I needed to do.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

20 is overkill on a boat that size. Best gen is Northern Lights...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Variable speed has issues. I'd not use it on a boat. There's no need to make it more complicated.

In Florida where AC is 24/7 you may need the Larger. 20 to 21 is not a big jump
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

When we had the Onan 15kw it couldn't handle the full load, Phaser talked me out of going to a 20kw when we re-powered, their 15kw handles everything, and hasn't missed a beat in 20 years.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I added a second generator in anticipation of the 20kw MDL4 dying someday. I put in a 17kw Kohler with sound shield. It carries the full load of our 63MY with no problems. It uses a Lombardi diesel engine (Lombardi is owned by kohler) lot of nice generators out there and forum member Roger Werthington is a Kohler rep. The Kohler is very quiet and vibration free, which were important to me. They are also very price competitive.

Replaced the 20 with a 20, wish I had gone up. However I also installed a 12 so I have a night gen, or if the weather is good. Both are NL with boxes.Removed a Phazor, never liked the marinerization they did. Silly things like the heat exchanger end cap right over the alternator, and the box ends were not removable with out tools. Heat exchanger on one side, oil filter on the other side. Perhaps they have fixed these “minor annoyances” as the baseline hard ware was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Lottie View Post
    Removed a Phazor, never liked the marinerization they did. Silly things like the heat exchanger end cap right over the alternator, and the box ends were not removable with out tools. Heat exchanger on one side, oil filter on the other side. Perhaps they have fixed these “minor annoyances” as the baseline hard ware was very good.
    Sounds exactly like my NL 20KW.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC