Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Up the River - New River

ThT was a great video, how would you like to do that in 20 knots of wind
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Ah yes, the dreaded New River. I'm headed up that way to Cable Marine to have my bottom done next month or so.

Tips:
    --Don't travel up the New River before 9:30am M-F. Bridges don't open during rush hour(s).

--Lingo: You'll hear security calls on channel 9 announcing they are entering 'the Girls school', 'the Wiggles' and 'the Hairpin or the curve'. The one you need to note is the wiggles. Think of it as a 1 lane road. If you hear boat in tow or the Jungle Queen entering the Wiggles, hold back, let them go first.

--The Jungle Queen. Where does this company find it's captains? The Queen will always assume it has right of way and believes it can take it's half of a narrow channel out of the center. The good news is the JQ quickly pays any damage caused. I know 2 boats that were hit.

--Try to pick a day with little wind. The current can be impressive, combined with wind, holding station waiting for bridges can make thing interesting.

Know the names of the bridges, and go on a OUT going tide.
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    ThT was a great video, how would you like to do that in 20 knots of wind
    Notice the boat in drag. The tow goes no where it does not belong.
    With this two-tug tow, the yacht is in better control than if it tried it by itself on a calm day.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    --The Jungle Queen. Where does this company find it's captains? The Queen will always assume it has right of way and believes it can take it's half of a narrow channel out of the center. The good news is the JQ quickly pays any damage caused. I know 2 boats that were hit.
    Any time I have met Da Queen, I have been pleasured with her stopping and letting me pass. Never in 30 years have I had a JQ issue.
    Now, I have to admit, it's been about 5 years since I have had any of those meets.
    These last few deliveries thru there, Not seen her.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-02-2021 at 06:31 PM.

6. Re: Up the River - New River

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Oh yeah, just out of curiosity, does anyone know what they charge to tow those big boats up/down the river?
    Steel Towing was $1,000 last time I used them.

We were there for a while and saw a couple of large yachts go it on their own. One named Privacy went by without the tows. They left all of the cockpit doors open to obscure the name LOL. And we all know who's boat that is.
    Regards
    Dan

Had to look it up. Typed in Privacy yacht and it popped right up. So much for privacy.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

You do seem to move up the search engine list just after pitchpoling your truck down an embankment, and he wasn't being chased by a women with a Nike golf club.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    You do seem to move up the search engine list just after pitchpoling your truck down an embankment, and he wasn't being chased by a women with a Nike golf club.

Walt Hoover
    Understand Sheriff has got the court to let him do a pretty in depth investigation of the vehicle, including the inner secrets of the computers.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay