Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Up the River - New River

Having some work being done and need to make a trip up the New River to Brandofrd Marine. Any guidance, tips, etc... on making it an uneventful trip? I was thinking of following one of the SuperYachts under tow up the river to help time the bridges. Interested in any thoughts, guidance, experince. Thanks!
    Best regards,
    --
    David

2. Re: Up the River - New River

First time, be ready for a serious case of "pucker factor." Good advice on following a tow, but don't assume that that will get you through easily. My advice, and something I practice even now, is get someone really familiar with the river to handle your radio as the river has its own lingo. It's an interesting ride, if you could enjoy it.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Up the River - New River

Follow Da Queen.

The Jungle Queen has taken back up her tour cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Follow Da Queen.

Interesting tidbit: https://www.pinterest.com/hargraveya...grave-designs/
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Follow Da Queen.

Follow it or be on the lookout for it coming sideways down the river at you in the current. Been there, dodged that.

It's a bit tight and intimidating to navigate around all those high dollar boats, but it's definitely an interesting stretch of water.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

We pulled out of the wall just down stream from the 3rd avenue bridge for a run to the Bahamas early in the morning. I had the boat spinning around and the "Queen" pulled right up to our port side blowing his horn. He was no where in sight up to that point so he had the hammer down coming around the bend. I gave him a long stare, and eventually moved Freedom slowly out of his way.
    On another occasion I captured a video of a passing tow. It does get a bit tight in there LOL. And yes, I had no idea what the captains were referring to when they said where they were.

https://youtu.be/XM5ZraQPe5A
    Regards
    Dan

Does anyone in FL NOT own a boat? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    We pulled out of the wall just down stream from the 3rd avenue bridge for a run to the Bahamas early in the morning. I had the boat spinning around and the "Queen" pulled right up to our port side blowing his horn. He was no where in sight up to that point so he had the hammer down coming around the bend. I gave him a long stare, and eventually moved Freedom slowly out of his way.
    On another occasion I captured a video of a passing tow. It does get a bit tight in there LOL. And yes, I had no idea what the captains were referring to when they said where they were.

https://youtu.be/XM5ZraQPe5A
    That looks VERY familiar! I know I have video somewhere of the queen and also two tugs bringing a really BIG yacht down the river while I was tied alongside a dock having finished a delivery. I actually spent an extra day on the boat as I got there a little ahead of schedule and had to wait on a return flight home. It was definitely an interesting spot to kill some time, but the pucker factor was high bringing a single engine tug up through there.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Oh yeah, just out of curiosity, does anyone know what they charge to tow those big boats up/down the river?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    I had no idea what the captains were referring to when they said where they were.
    Is there a lexicon anywhere?

BTW for some insight into the yacht towing biz there's a cool Tim B at Sea vid where he visits his friend who owns Cape Ann Towing and they move a "white ship".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJmok5N1yjk&t=451s
    Last edited by oscarvan; 03-01-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay