Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: My 1st Hatt - 1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Get yourself a very skinny 16 year old want to be mechanic to get in there. I used to do this on my old cars when I was young and broke. When pushing the flush button have someone tap or smack a hammer on the motor. See if that might kick it over.
    I had my daughter press the button, listened to the solenoid click and the motor didn't make a peep. It doesn't even hum a little or feel like it's doing anything when you touch it.

It can't be getting any power at all or it would surely do something?? I'm holding hope I'm missing a switch somewhere or a wiring problem. Both motors too dead to even vibrate...what are the odds??
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-28-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Have you checked the voltage of your house batteries?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Have you checked the voltage of your house batteries?
    Yep, all charged up with my Charles 9000 battery cooker. So, that's not it. I thought maybe a weak connection point too...but I cleaned 'em all up.
    I even checked the juice at the switches and they're good. I'll rest my back another day and start poking around with my battery meter.

I was going to get to the subject of the batteries later - all TWENTY of them. Yes, 20. 8 for port/house, another 8 for stbd and ?, 2 12v for all the electronics and another two in the bow for the windlass. It's an interesting ol gal.
    Yeah, I'll get to all that later.

I spoke to a buddy of mine who is an electrical engineer. He also owns and operates a 53’ Hatteras himself. He told me that even though the solenoid clicks does not mean it’s actually engaging. If the two contacts inside the solenoid do not touch it will not run the motor. You might check that to see if there’s any power coming out of the solenoid once you push the button. If that’s the case that’s an easy and very inexpensive switch. He also mentioned try starting the generator to verify you have enough power on those batteries. Those batteries also run his head system.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Juice, are those Slane vents? If so, don't get rid of them. They aren't made any more and they are the best thing out there.

The generator is powered by a 5.9 Cummins? How many kW is THAT set? Wow.

Get a meter on that solenoid and see if its even letting power through. Make a pair of long jumpers with alligator clips on the ends and connect the meter. You can then monitor the meter while you are pressing the switch. I agree with RAC that there is a breaker off somewhere, the low amperage control side is live but the high amperage power to the motor is off. You could always jumper the solenoid with heavy gauge wire like car jumper cables.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Juice, are those Slane vents? If so, don't get rid of them. They aren't made any more and they are the best thing out there.
    The Slane vents are still being made/available. Broadus Rose at Lookout Boat Window Frames bought the molds. He is making me a vent for my 46C right now. A nice gentlemen with a good reputation. His number is 252-499-9152.
    Jason ‘Noogie’ Erbecker
    "Liberty Risk”
    1974 46C
    Hampton, VA

You can turn the head pumps with needle nose vise grips were you can see the shaft . A small movement might get them working. Most likely you will have to re replace them with rebuilds from either Raz or GalleyMaid . I would think if they sat since 2014 , every part of the pumps will need attention. Rebuilt pumps will give several years service. If the pumps are in good condition and they don’t want to turn much , the hoses are clogged. Replacing the hoses is the best course of action , and then try to keep them clean.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Raz gives good service, but shipping those lumps of iron to and fro gets expensive. A good auto electric shop can do, and has done for me, the job locally. And once the motors are done, as Rusty said, the pump end rebuilds are easy. But never, never don't buy new pump seals while you have the units out. And having a chisel handy is often a good idea. Some of the dried grunge can make pretty good riprap.

As always, it's best to find the very best technical minds to handle the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8W6qyDL9Y
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC