Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Re: My 1st Hatt - 1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I am curious as well. Mine came apart when I removed the wheel to service the helm. I cant remember what I miked the hole but it was a bit over 2". I never found anything on Sams and keep forgetting to call them
    I still can't find one. I guess I'll buy a 2.5" inch cap in wood and scrape the insert away until it fits. Maybe it can be whittled-down without scratching the top too much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16414715038...Cclp%3A2047675
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Father's Day present to myself - finishing the cockpit deck. It was really quite a bit of work to repair all the damaged areas of that deck. It was all dry inside, but had been jumped-on and beaten over the decades. Now, it's flat and strong.

So, today I put the last coat on. I like to do a deck with a bright white basecoat...used Perfection Mediterranean with light non-skid. Then, I tape all the edges and put on a heavy non-skid layer of cream color. It's easy on the eyes and the white showing, framing the edge of everything, looks good to me.

20210620_190845.jpg I already have 4 coats of Epiphanes on the new table - and my kid's bike tipped over and fell on it! A few more coats will do it.
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Gorgeous! And you're way ahead of me. Just identified my AC issue and resolved it today. So much for the manufacturer claim that "it is never our unit, it is always the water pump or incompetent customers doing their own installs". There was a blob of paint blocking the discharge tube on the unit and once I removed it, flushed the unit and all the hoses, BAM! we're enjoying AC in the master stateroom. Just have to burp the pump for the midships to get it back in balance, since they both draw off the same strainer. The cosmetic list for Pau Hana starts with the radar arch, then the rest of the FB, then the deck house, then the decks/non-skid.
    I bet that's a relief to have all the a/c running. It's always some stupid little thing.

The non-skid had to be done on mine, immediately. It was like an ice skating rink on the bow and gunwales in the morning dew. I almost ate it a few times already. How can a sportfish not have nicely non-skidded decks? It's almost like the poor girl was never used.
    1984 52C

Just one thing per day. This morning I put the Perfection base coat on the bridge deck. I feel better having that waterproof coating on that well worn deck. When you really get down there on your hands and knees, you see the tiny cracks and scrapes which eventually lead to water intrusion to the core. They're sealed with a nice thick coating now.

Then, my buddy showed up to do finally put the transom letters on. It took him a month to get the gold leaf in...crazy times. It's a play on the famous kon Tiki with my daughters' names.

Painting the platform was a 5 minute job which really made a difference.
    conTeakKeesmile.jpg

conTeaKee.jpg
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 06-26-2021 at 01:47 PM.
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Just one thing per day. This morning I put the Perfection base coat on the bridge deck. I feel better having that waterproof coating on that well worn deck. When you really get down there on your hands and knees, you see the tiny cracks and scrapes which eventually lead to water intrusion to the core. They're sealed with a nice thick coating now.

Then, my buddy showed up to do finally put the transom letters on. It took him a month to get the gold leaf in...crazy times. It's a play on the famous kon Tiki with my daughters' names.

Painting the platform was a 5 minute job which really made a difference.
    Attachment 50984

Attachment 50985
    Very nice! Love the name - Just watched the movie on Amazon Prime. The Admiral did our transom name decal with her Cricket machine, and replaced 2 zippers and restitched all the zippers on our bimini. Now that I'm past the habitability issues, I can turn my attention to the mechanical deficiencies (generally minor for local cruising but not for extended) and other issues. Fortunately I am able to take my time and work on one engine at a time, and none of the issues prevent us getting out for a short cruise or trip to the fuel dock.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

What a crappy weekend. No techs can come look at the port engine yet and the weather is too bad to go putz around on the boat. So, I started adding some stripes. T&H plywood on the floors just started with the little spot under the galley booth. Eventually, I'll work across and finish the galley floor. I'll do a little area by the salon door next.
    The cabinet top is extra vinyl from doing floors in the heads.

t&h salon.jpg
    1984 52C

The bummer with t&h stripes is they won't line-up if the floor isn't flat. I can't remember ever having a funky deck like in the heads. So, I didn't stop to think the lines won't match on the step-up.
    So, I guess I'll have to paint that step-front. Live and learn. At least progress continues. I think I'll use new quarter rounds for the trim. That's easier than refinishing the old with the screws rusted into them.

20210815_161831.jpg
    1984 52C

Well, things have progressed a bit while waiting almost 3 months to get her pulled-out. The interior has been mostly refinished...except carpet and a few things I'll put off. Why put in nice new carpet when the kids will just trash it!?

The boat has resisted getting up on plane. The port engine starts black smoking and bogs-down right at 1,325rpm as the bow rises. After weeks of going through the engines, they check-out perfectly. So, it has to be something down below. I have a really good diver, but the water quality is so bad (thanks to continued dumping of Lake O skankwater down our river) that he can't see anything further than a foot from his face.

It got pulled this morning and, like the diver announced and I suspected, the port turns very hard while sb turns easily. So, the cutlass bearings will be replaced before the running gear is cleaned and painted. There's no evidence of a bent shaft.

The props are also being replaced with a new set. It appears the port wheel has also been bent a little. Two of the blades are curled a little, like they got dragged through the mud or something.

20211116_152425.jpg 20211116_152306.jpg
    Attached Images
    1984 52C

Juice, me thinks you need a new diver. I know the water down there is a challenge but still the props should not look like that. I’m in at Pete area and just now went to once a month cleaning. Was twice a month when water was above 80.

Regardless you can’t as I am sure you know troubleshoot any mechanical issues without a perfectly clean bottom. At least when you go back in you will have all clean and any other issues taken care of.

If you need a mechanic recommendation I highly recommend getting Wayne Hanaseck at Anclote Diesel personally on board. That is if you have not located a DD 2 stroke guru already.

Good luck! Maybe hook up as we pass through on the ways to Keys next June.👍👍
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Juice, me thinks you need a new diver. I know the water down there is a challenge but still the props should not look like that. I’m in at Pete area and just now went to once a month cleaning. Was twice a month when water was above 80.

Regardless you can’t as I am sure you know troubleshoot any mechanical issues without a perfectly clean bottom. At least when you go back in you will have all clean and any other issues taken care of.

If you need a mechanic recommendation I highly recommend getting Wayne Hanaseck at Anclote Diesel personally on board. That is if you have not located a DD 2 stroke guru already.

Good luck! Maybe hook up as we pass through on the ways to Keys next June.
    I think those props might be original! No record of a change. They're actually clean in the pic, just speckled from when they sat with barnacles. They're thin, like from decades underwater...and will now be landscape decorations.

At least 88 items is down to 8...and 3 of them get done at that yard. With everything working right, I'll finally be able to start working on the exterior paint and polish.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to cruising next Summer. After so many years sitting idle, this ol' girl is gonna run like hell.

The hardest part of this renovation was the difficulty in hiring anyone....both for the boat and in the office so I could get on the boat. I'll definitely call Wayne and appreciate the referral.
    1984 52C