Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: My 1st Hatt - 1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    What do you do when there are gaping holes to fill? (careful)
    There was a giant stereo system in this one. I can still hear Frampton Comes Alive oozing from the components.
    I already have a big ice maker and full reefer. The edge moldings don't even match and it's hideous. I really don't need a drink fridge...might have to get one just to fill the hole.

Attachment 49221

Then there's that other cabinet which held an ancient tv with built-in VCR. I've got so much other shit to do. Wouldn't it be great to find a cabinet door that size?

Attachment 49222 Sorry I don't know how to flip the pics.
    Might be best to just put a cabinet door and shelves on it. You can never have enough storage, maybe it becomes a small food pantry?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Wine chiller?
    Maybe, but I'm allergic to sulfites. If I find one on sale for a great price, I'll pop one in there.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Might be best to just put a cabinet door and shelves on it. You can never have enough storage, maybe it becomes a small food pantry?
    That's what will happen, I guess. I have some veneer left from covering the galley booth table, too. (can see it behind the first pic of the gaping hole) The hard part is finding the little molding that goes around each cabinet door.

I hate to wait....but this will have to wait until I'm done hunting for fire hazards.

Got to chime in with you on the fire hazards. I am replacing worn-out GFI outlets the next few days, now that I have replaced the LED flowerpetal lights reverting back to halogen incandescents. Had one of the "12V/24V LED" pieces explode in the fixture but we got it out before it was more than smoke. These were installed by PO so I guess we're lucky they lasted this long. Going to have to figure out some new lighting for the galley, staterooms and midships passageway so I can go LED but PO put in stretched vinyl headliner with stapled holes cut into crossmembers for existing lights. I pulled a dead fridge out of flying bridge and will probably put a drink fridge back up there. Someone removed the wet bar and sink in the salon and put a granite slab countertop in it's place. Water lines are capped inside the cabinet underneath. Every day is a new adventure in "what now?". One of my marina neighbors has what she refers to as "electrician savant", says he is an old boat wiring wizard. Going to have him look at our anchor windlass wiring issue.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Most Hatts from the late 70's on had GFI breakers so no GFI outlets were needed. Most surveyors don't notice that and then recommend that GFI outlets are added when they are not necessary. So you see some of these boats with GFI outlets that someone installed not knowing they were already protected.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Most Hatts from the late 70's on had GFI breakers so no GFI outlets were needed. Most surveyors don't notice that and then recommend that GFI outlets are added when they are not necessary. So you see some of these boats with GFI outlets that someone installed not knowing they were already protected.

Yes. The only pro I've hired so far is an A/C guy with 4 decades in the biz. I noticed the first thing he did on the boat was open the panel and trip the GFI breakers to make sure they're working. It's great to have a consummate pro come work on the boat - but day-um is it expensive.

So, the only outlets I'm changing on the entire boat are to have a couple of those with the USB charger built-in.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 04-21-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Really less cost in the long run.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Really less cost in the long run.
    Totally worth it if you can find a real one with verifiable years in the area. There are too many fakes around who say they were a pro "for many years up North."

Agreed
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    I was converting the nav lights over to 12v at the switch yesterday and tested the switch for the Ray-Line while at it. It's getting voltage but the switch is toast. That little resistor connecting the slow and fast power is rusted away.

A new switch is $250. It just so happens there's a used one on Ebay I just bought for 25 bucks! What are the odds it works? I'd guess about 8%...felt lucky.

Attachment 49194

The old Ebay switch works! You can hear the Ray-Line light's motor running up there, but it only moves once about every 10 times you try. So, I'll bring the light down from the tower and go through it. I'm sure the connections are all corroded as hell. It'll be interesting to see what kind of gears are in there....hope I don't need parts.

The bulb doesn't turn-on either. I hope it's just not getting enough juice - the filament looks intact.

I'm really excited about the Ray-Line. They just look right on a vintage Hatt.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 04-23-2021 at 08:53 PM.

If you hear the motor, then the clutches just need adjusting.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI