Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Re: My 1st Hatt - 1984 52C

Welcome to the best website out there, the stuff I learn here is impressive. Great looking boat, your posts bring back memories... I started with the heads too.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Quote Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
    Welcome to the best website out there, the stuff I learn here is impressive. Great looking boat, your posts bring back memories... I started with the heads too.
    Thanks. Yeah, this site is already saving me piles of money and time. The old posts in the 'Service Questions' threads have really been great.

Tonight's project is to put new Nav lights on her. The boat deserves 'em. These Hella 3NM LED nav lights say they're good up to 33 volts. Do you believe it?

I'm a little skeptical. If they fry, they're going back to the wholesaler with a request for a full refund.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLA-MARIN...M/254845712168

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, this site is already saving me piles of money and time. The old posts in the 'Service Questions' threads have really been great.

Tonight's project is to put new Nav lights on her. The boat deserves 'em. These Hella 3NM LED nav lights say they're good up to 33 volts. Do you believe it?

I'm a little skeptical. If they fry, they're going back to the wholesaler with a request for a full refund.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLA-MARIN...M/254845712168
    Trouble is a normal full or underway charge is more like 37 volts.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Trouble is a normal full or underway charge is more like 37 volts.
    Sounds like I'd better keep the old sun-rotted Perkos in a nice, dry place.

Sounds like I'd better keep the old sun-rotted Perkos in a nice, dry place.
    Get you one of these and put in the panel on the output side of the Nav Lights breaker

https://store.marinebeam.com/hattera...-dc-converter/

If your 33 volt lights will work on 12 you can use them. If not just change bulbs to 12 volt LED which are much more common

Today's happy lesson: If the 20kw genny turns over easily but won't run, check to see if the oil pressure switch is stuck.

I checked everything possibly possible, for two hours, before I checked that!

As for the heads, they're just fused. I had the wife press the button while I smacked the pump (and everything) with a hammer. The only thing that happened was a small line of smoke started coming from a screw on top of the motor.
    So, I'm not going to mess with it. The only decision to make is whether to get two rebuilt pump/motor set-ups from Raz, or just buy new toilets with pumps for not that much more money.
    Congrats on the new boat. It’s obvious you’re going to do a great job on her. If you’re in SWF, both Raz and Galleymaid are easy drives, saving on the onerous shipping cost of that iron. The real reason for driving though, is I always learn something when I visit Mike or Rick, and if you’re a diner aficionado, Lester’s, around the corner from Raz, is worth the trip by itself.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Oh damn! Lesters anything is good but especially the deserts. Just had lunch there today. Best of luck with the boat! This site is a huge brain trust for everything Hatteras.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I rebuilt all 3 of my Galley Maid pumps on my 84 55C. Luckily I had an extra one to practice on. Robert is correct, the motors are just starter motors. I had a local motor shop check them out and install new bearings and brushes. You can by the rebuild kits from Raz and their instructions are very easy to follow. I also soda blasted all of the parts and repainted them, they look brand new. I have re-installed 2 of them and they work great, a little loud, everyone knows you are going! It was a pretty cheap re-build. I only problem I encountered was get the old "welded" on hoses off. I used as much heat as I thought prudent and stopped right before catching the boat on fire. I pretty much gave up and just cut them off and attached an extension to them with new hose clamps. This also required some new floor hatches.
    I think the key to keeping them working is to use them.
    Guy

I need to take new pics of the deconstructed mess. That bad tint on the back window was removed in about 5 minutes using a $1 bottle of "Totally Awesome" from Big Lots. You spray that on and the razor blade slides right behind the tint like hot butter.

I decided instead of ordering new fabric for the valances, I'm going to take them down for good. They seem to make the space look more crowded...or something. The speaker wires and ancient indirect lighting the valances were hiding are all going in the trash. Those old track lights are trashed as well.

The windows have nice wood custom blinds (pulled up in the pic). I'm going to order new wood valances for them and match the color with gel stain.
    https://www.amazon.com/TailorView-Va...081G7K43Q?th=1

The only thing left to hide is the line of staples where the headliner meets the wall. I'll cover that with some kind of hardwood corner molding or maybe even a very small crown molding or something. I'll shop around until the right molding pops-up. The only fabric coverings will be over where the front windows were in earlier models...and those can be cut-down in size quite a bit.

salon.jpgMessy Salon.jpg

You'll have to get rid of those track lights. They'll be in the way of the rod racks.

Seriously, nice looking boat. Good luck with her.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau