Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Cool My 1st Hatt - 1984 52C

Well, I bought the old girl from a very kind Virginia gentleman with a winter home across the river. It's the first time either of us sold/bought a boat without using a broker - and it worked out great. He had to sell because of a personal loss and was glad to see it go to someone he could tell was ready to go to work on her. He bought and started overhauling the boat in 2014. Because of an illness, not much was done for the last couple years but the most basic things.

I'm stuck in the office every day until 4 and do everything after then. I brought her home to my house last Monday. Spent the the next two nights washing, the next two nights taking stuff off the boat and Friday running through the systems and shoring-up the long list of projects.

Rather than pollute the front page with a hundred threads with all my questions, I thought I start this one and keep it all centralized. So, if you feel like giving the poor bastid' down in Sw FL some help, please stop by to sympathize with the current frustration.

bow shot.jpgstern shot.jpg
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-28-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Re: My 1st Hatt - 1984 52C

The wood instead is in excellent shape. Everything is really dirty though. So, I'm wiping everything down with Orange Oil cleaner and then rubbing it with Miniwax Antique Hard Oil. Damn is it nice.

The inside of the cockpit door (pic above) was literally ash colored and covered with black moldy streaks from being open for weeks at a time. After a brisk wash, adding some mahogany stain to the oil brought it back nicely with almost no work. I don't know if it's mahogany or teak or afromosia or what, but it's durable.

salon.jpg I'll have to remove that bad tint film on the cockpit windowguest.jpg This is how the wood looks before cleaning and oiling. Has the gross growth on it from 2 years sitting, that cleans off easily.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-28-2021 at 05:40 PM.

There are dozens of projects on the list. Today, I changed all the Racors, the oil filters, etc. Next week comes impellers n such.

I'm not looking forward to removing the full wall mirrors in the master stateroom. Getting those off is going to be a bitch. Is there's nice wood behind them...and can I get the glue off to save it??

master.jpg
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-28-2021 at 04:48 PM.

ER is great. I can't find anything wrong with the low hour 8v92s. However, the genny made me chuckle. My retired friend who's helping me with mechanical stuff (diesel mechanic for a oil barge firm) opened her up today. Everybody loves a 5.9 Cummins, but the oil filter read 2014...and the engine hours written on the filter is ONE-hour-less than it shows today.

Plus, the new looking water pump on it was installed backwards. After basic maintenance, she started up and purred beautifully.

OpenGenny.jpg
    36 years old and 3,400 hours on her! That's just sad. I'll make a point of it to run thousands of hours on this neglected genny.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-28-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to share your projects.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Congrats and she looks beautiful! I'll be following your thread about the mirrors. We have them in the VIP state and on the forward bulkhead of the galley that the admiral would like removed.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

A brand new cockpit freezer unit is great.

One a/c unit isn't working and there's some other problems with the a/c system. An ol' pro is coming to work on them in a couple weeks. There was some home-grown tinkering with that system that is a bit terrifying and will be redone correctly.

NewCockpitFreezer.jpg

Newer exhaust and plenty of lighting are helpful. The ER is a happy place, a first for any new boat I've owned. Usually, it's a place of fear and loathing.

ER.jpg

Congratulations, take good care of her.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thank you fellas. The fit and finish in the ol' girl is so great, it's really an honor to be an owner.

While the girls go to a play tonight, I'll face the first major annoyance: the toilet system. I guess it's the Galley Maid.

Last night late, I replaced the solenoid on the guest head because it was toast. Well, when you press the button, you can hear the solenoid click, but the motor doesn't hum and nothing happens. (seller left me 4 head solenoids, and hundreds of other parts. So great) I tapped on that motor, swore at it...nothing.

Interestingly, the master head does the same. Press the button, hear the solenoid click and nothing else. The motor doesn't run.
    I thought maybe the tank is full and a float shuts off the heads when too high?? The "3/4 full" light doesn't come on when you press the button. One motor dead is likely, but both? It just seems odds are it's something else and I have no idea.

Head Pump Won't Run.jpg Could the macerator blades be seized from not being flushed for a couple years??

Solenoid was toast:
    Bad solenoid.jpg "Raz-za-mataz" wasn't looking to good. Not any better with working solenoid.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-28-2021 at 05:30 PM.