Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil sample question on a boat that is for sale

Hi guys, I have a boat I am interested in, not going to say what boat for the sake of the seller.

Here is what I know: Oil has not been changed in 10 years, reportedly the boat has had very little use during that time. Exact hours are not know but assuming "guessing" maybe 100 or 200 hours.
    Based on the condition of the boat, the owner is not one to let things go.

One engine showed high lead content that raised a red flag.

One transmission showed visible metal flakes in the oil, but otherwise the reading were o.k.

Looking for you opinions, I am not sure if anything positive or negative could be drawn from this.

It almost seems that all oils would have to be changed, run the boat for 100 hours then recheck all the oils to get any definitive results.

Do I make a move on this boat? If all is well, then great! If all is not well, I could be looking at $30k motor rebuild and $15k (guess) transmission rebuild. Does this sound logical?

Your thoughts?

Thank you!

Re: Oil sample question on a boat that is for sale

Bob: If it were me, I would:
    - Change all oils, run @ load for at least one hour
    - Change all oils, run at load for at least an hour, pull samples.
    - Change all oils, run it like you stole it for at least 5 hrs, then sample oil at 25 hrs run time.

The first sample should catch any “leaks” of seawater or coolant that may be getting into engines.
    Obviously, if an anomaly is detected, the problem is repaired and process begins anew.
    I’d be particularly interested in the delta between the 2nd and 3rd oil samples with respect to wear
    metals.
    Brett

Confused... you said that based on condition of the boat the owner isn’t one to let things go yet the oil is 10 years old with unknown hours??? Doesn’t get much worst... hell of a red flag !!

Did you do a sea trials? How do they run

Unless the price is great and allows for rebuilding the engines and that one gear, I d run
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

What about getting an engine survey? Inc the generator.

You mentioned metal flakes in the trans? That cannot be good.

Get a pro to evaluate the machinery.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Confused... you said that based on condition of the boat the owner isn’t one to let things go yet the oil is 10 years old with unknown hours??? Doesn’t get much worst... hell of a red flag !!

Did you do a sea trials? How do they run

Unless the price is great and allows for rebuilding the engines and that one gear, I d run
    Well yes that confused me as well. No I have not done sea trials. My understanding is that everything runs good.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    What about getting an engine survey? Inc the generator.
    I was thinking that, but my question is how much can they tell from an engine survey? Can they tell if crank mains or rod bearings are going bad? I would think that other than oil samples the only way to know would be physical inspection?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    You mentioned metal flakes in the trans? That cannot be good.

Get a pro to evaluate the machinery.
    I wouldn't think so. The only two times I have seen metal flakes in oil were just before having to order two new motors. But those were motors, maybe old transmissions can have some flake without being bad, I don't know what the internals look like, I assume just a bunch of big gears and some kind of clutch. Possibly the transmissions could be a little more resilient to debris than a motor. Perhaps a call to Allison transmission might be in order.

Something to keep in mind that I am experiencing lately... Our boat is a 1972, and it had one owner who ostensibly took care of it over the years.

However, the 'last few years' was really the last 10-15 years and lots of maintenance was done much longer ago than it seemed in their minds.

So, something that they did every year or two was really actually done last 5 yrs ago, etc...

While the engines have a clean bill of health, and a good oil sample, etc... all of the smaller stuff that I dig into pretty much crumbles once it is taken apart. So, open a strainer, gaskets crumble and need to be replaced. Futz with the windshield wipers, the arms break right off, that kind of stuff.

So while there are lots of things that looked nice on our boat, and I am sure that lots of time and money was spent on the upkeep, I wouldn't be optimistic on ANYTHING.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    Something to keep in mind that I am experiencing lately... Our boat is a 1972, and it had one owner who ostensibly took care of it over the years.

....I wouldn't be optimistic on ANYTHING.
    This is so much my experience.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA