Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cleaning old Perko Strainers

I have five Perko strainers that I will offer for sale sometime soon.

In the meantime, I am wondering if diluted hydrochloric acid can be used to clean them up? (Previously I have used phosphoric acid.)

Perko.jpg
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Cleaning old Perko Strainers

A white vinegar soaking works.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Toilet bowl cleaner will do the job also. If that is not enough then a quick soak in muratic acid will have them looking brand new in no time. Rinse with water afterward. I used acid on my generator and A/C strainers and was pleased with the results.

Walt Hoover

Recently did the same strainers without chemicals by dismantling the units and bead blast the bronze then washed the glass with soap and water. Ordered new cork gaskets and then reassembled. Be sure to lube up the 4 compression rods and nuts and don't overtighten. Pretty easy job. PJ61

Perhaps I did not ask my question quite clearly. I have lots of unused hydrochloric acid on the boat. The Perko strainers have never been cleaned in 35 years and need disassembly. There are muscles coral and oysters throughout them. My specific question is what is the dilution of the hydrochloric acid and how long can / should the strainers be immersed the acid bath?
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-28-2021 at 04:47 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Perhaps I did not ask my question quite clearly. I have lots of unused hydrochloric acid on the boat. The Perko strainers have never been cleaned in 35 years and need disassembly. There are muscles coral and oysters throughout them. My specific question is what is the dilution of the hydrochloric acid and how long can / should the strainers be immersed the acid bath?
    You've received the best answer already, ditch the acid and use white vinegar. The vinegar (50/50 with water) is safe to handle, no off gases, super cheap, works wonders and won't eat up the strainers. Acid ratio depends on the concentration of the acid you are starting with, they make different %'s.

Thanks. I knew white vinegar polished up bronze and copper, but not that it dissolved shell and calcite. I'll give it a go.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Thanks. I knew white vinegar polished up bronze and copper, but not that it dissolved shell and calcite. I'll give it a go.
    It does. Twice a year in head hoses is also good. Overnight is good, 24 hours is better. Anyway, it’ll do no harm.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC