Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Aftermarket impellers

Has anyone had a good/bad experience with aftermarket impellers? My Detroit's take the Jabsco 17936-0001-p's. I have 2 new spares but was going to add a another set to the inventory. The replacements on ebay cost about $50 vs $100 or so for Jabsco's. I was thinking about throwing a set on the boat for emergency back ups.

Re: Aftermarket impellers

For emergency they are better than nothing..... I carry the real thing as spares......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Currently running some cheap Chines impellers.
    3.5" for 12V71TIs.
    Under a magnifying glass, I could see no difference in the mold or tooling from the Jabsco impeller.
    Near convinced they are the same less the part number molded on them.

Also convinced the smaller impellers I use with the part number white inked on, are the same from China. Just with the inked part number with an expensive plastic package.
    So far, all is good.

I remember an tech artical a while ago, That packaging ads lots of cost to a part.
    The cheapies come in a lil paper bag.

Where are the brand (expensive) impellers made?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-26-2021 at 06:58 PM.

For $50 you don't get a company to stand behind it.

Is it worth the risk? Most catastrophic failures are tied to cooling.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Amazon used to have the best price on the Jabsco impellors. I think they were $60 or so.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I would use brand name. For changing them yearly, the cost savings is not at all worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    For $50 you don't get a company to stand behind it.

Is it worth the risk? Most catastrophic failures are tied to cooling.
    What does standing behind it mean?

You have had a bad impeller replaced?
    Or, Jabsco has fixed a fried engine?

For some reason, the e-bay ad quotes 1 year warranty. Don't know how that would work either.

The Chinese are infamous for meeting spec to get an order but then manufacturing sub standard. Stainless steel, dog food, whatever. If it’s not so important or going to be disposable I will buy cheap Chinese shit. Otherwise I do my homework and buy quality stuff. At that price range no way it’s worth taking a chance. Big ticket items worth a look but then even more crucial.

I bought and refurbished a head for a 6BT on the 34. After all I went through I should have just bought a new head. Same kinda thing. Worth a few bucks for peace of mind the spare parts bin can be counted on when needed.

IMHO.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

https://www.globemarinedirect.com/pr...01-12-1800.htm
    Consider Globe impellers. I've used them for 20+ years with no failures. Made in USA. As they say, it will run dry. I've never run one dry for 15 minutes as they claim but i have had a wilcox crittendon cone type seacock self close underway when the regreased cone wasn't tightened enough and the handles weight caused the valve to shut. I noticed the difference in sound from wet exhaust to suddenly dry exhaust and I opened the valve soon after. No damage to the impeller for that short run dry period. The same impeller pumped a whole lot of sand with virtually no damage. When removed, only the tips of the blades were worn slightly. Ive never once had a globe impeller lose or tear a blade. Yes, I keep a spare set onboard nevertheless.