Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

52C best economy for long trip?

Looking at taking my 52C on a 750 nm trip. Boat has 735hp 8v92's. Curious what the best balance of speed and economy others have experienced. During my only longer trip (200 nm) @ 8.5 knots my flow scans weren't reliable, but my guess is 1/1. Does that sound right? Ideas of fuel use at 9-9.5 knots? thanks

Re: 52C best economy for long trip?

Figure .4 to be safe for range at 80%. Then factor in some savings for hull speed. Seems that many times I am expecting lower fuel fill up due to slow speed time I am disappointed. Don't care much about cost but not quite what you would guess. Cost is cost. Whatever. Range is what you need to be estimated accurately.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Also why was I not invited on this expedition??
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Also why was I not invited on this expedition??
    Reading comprehension comes to mind,

Big difference between 9 and 9.5 kts. 9 kts is pretty much speed on your boat and you ll likely burn burn about 9 to 10 GPH. At 9.5 kts you ll be just above hull speed and starting to push a wave, probably burning close to 13/14 gph
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Either run it at hull speed or put it on plane. Anything in between will just burn a lot of fuel and accomplish very little. If you’re trying to shorten your run time, alternate between the two. 1/1 sounds right at 9 knots.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

On my previous 52C (Cats), typically saw a bit more than 1nm/gallon at 9kts. Would do a little better at slower speeds, but 9 seemed the sweet spot.

Talking to other 52 owners with Detroits, everyone reported similar experience

This will give you an idea of how much more fuel you burn when you go above hull speed. From the brochure archives here for a 53ED.
    Attached Images
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks everyone sounds like i can bump it up to 9 from 8.5. An extra .5 will shorten the trip 5-7 hours.