Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Heat Exchanger Zinc Question

For the second time now I've had to remove a side plate off my 6v92ta in order to get a zinc out for service. These are 3/4 pipe thread with a square head on them. In each case I've had to resort to a breaker bar to free them, and both times the square head broke off, forcing me to drill , cut and chisel to remove them. I'd like to reinstall them with Neversieze but I'm concerned that it might interfere with the contact and render the zinc useless. Any thoughts here?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Heat Exchanger Zinc Question

I use Loctite copper anti seize. you can check for continuity after installation with an ohm meter if your concerned.

P

Grease with metal in it?... Sounds like a textbook insulator to me.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I guess that's my question. Does it really insulate? Are the male and female threads not touching at all, or are they making good contact but with partial lubrication to prevent seizing?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I guess that's my question. Does it really insulate? Are the male and female threads not touching at all, or are they making good contact but with partial lubrication to prevent seizing?
    Bob, at rest the HE is empty, therefore, no need for zincs. Underway, the large in/outlet pipe zincs should be plenty of protection with their larger anodes. I’ve done away with the 1/4” pencil zincs because they often break off in the HE. You may recall I freshwater flush my raw water circuit after use further obviating the need for HE zincs.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

No it won't electrically insulate your zincs. Here's a good read on that subject:https://www.sbmar.com/articles/myths...-dope-threads/
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Good ole Tony Athens. Good article. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    No it won't electrically insulate your zincs. Here's a good read on that subject:https://www.sbmar.com/articles/myths...-dope-threads/
    Yep, beat me to it. Good call.