Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vetus Bow Thruster Question

Gentlemen,

Maggie Mae is on the hard getting a load of work done. I have maintained a great relationship with the PO who has been an invaluable resource over the years. When I shared with him what I was doing to "our girl" he suggested that I have the seals in the Vetus Bow Thruster changed while on the hard.

It is a Vetus 24V electric bow thruster which I call more of a "bow suggester" as it wont push against a moderate or worse wind or current BUT she helps suggest the bow direction and sometimes Maggie Mae will listen to her. I can hear many of you old salts now: "You don't need no (*&*& bow thruster anyway!!!"

Do any of you have a Vetus Thruster and if so have you ever changed the seals in it? Currently have no evidence of any water intrusion around/about the thruster so this is entirely preventative maintenance.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Re: Vetus Bow Thruster Question

If you are considering thruster service and the max thrust prop is on it, maybe time for a more robust (new) thruster.
    While you are on the hill, I luv to spend your money.

3. Re: Vetus Bow Thruster Question

It sounds as if the thruster is severely undersize for your application. At any rate, nothing you can do about that now. Change the seals while hauled. Cheap insurance.

Or glass the hole back in and save on future maintenance and batteries.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Or glass the hole back in and save on future maintenance and batteries.
    Spend money to devalue the boat?

A little thruster is better than none an at all, and it would add some value at resale. Maybe he needs to get a Tim Allen type to rewire it for more power.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here is the size I have on Miss Maggie and it pushes her bow pretty good. I also have the seven blade high performance prop which helps.

Don't forget the zinc while you're at it.

Mine is also 24V. I have two Northstar AGM batteries that power the thruster which provides good thrust and enough power when I need it while docking.

Vetus Bow Thruster.jpgVetus Bow Thruster 002.jpg
    Last edited by JD5652; 02-26-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Grateful for your feedback gentlemen. I believe she has the 7 blade type. She has spirit and gets the job done. I’ll get the seals and zincs changed
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

if it is marginal in thrust, do they offer a more powerful motor and prop that will fit your gearbox? just a thought
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.