Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Water leak 1979 53 MY

Thanks for all the great ideas. Seems the condensation in mattresses is a common thing that boaters and RV owners gave.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Seems the condensation in mattresses is a common thing that boaters and RV owners gave.
    Also realize that most of the moisture is yours....... So we have mattress savers, basically zippered vinyl bags that enclose the mattress. Then we have a variety of pads (including several inches of memory foam) on top to provide the squishy experience but it keeps the moisture up top and doesn't allow it to get to the cold part.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I wonder how this ventilating mesh would work under a mattress? It's made to be installed under cedar roofing to promote ventilation on the underside of the wood.

https://benjaminobdyke.com/product/c...-underlayment/
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

We've already passed this on to Rusty but what is working well for us on Chartmaker is the Ikea solution.. the current product isn't as good as what they sold previously though:
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/luroey-slatted-bed-base-00160215/

When we purchased it a few years ago the solution was called "Lonset"... essentially a pre-formed Ash wooden slat system... its light weight, and even for the VIP berths I was able to make some minor adjustments to insure that they would work there as well. Easily assembled and modified as needed, plus the price is right.

Ash is the preferred wood to make rowing oars out of for most Maine boat and Canoe builders, for instance. Its very lightweight and moisture resistant.

It does add some height to the mattress, but adds to comfort too. An excellent trade-off.

Sweet Dreams Ya'll.
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com