Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water leak 1979 53 MY

I was on the boat for a weeks vacation and just prior to leaving, I lifted the starboard twin mattress in the master stateroom to change the sheets. I found the bottom of the mattress wet. I did have the boat washed and waxed and it did rain during that week. Just guessing it’s leaking from the starboard deck drain I will will try to confirm later this week when I return. My question is, has anyone had to change out the drain hose? If so can you give me some pointers. Thanks in advance.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Water leak 1979 53 MY

Rusty, if it is the drain right by the aft deck wing door, there is a panel in the overhead in the medicine cabinet in the aft head that comes out to get to the hose connection on that drain. If it is the far aft drain the panel in the aft corner of the stateroom comes off to access the drain. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks John. I’ll open those and run water down them. If it is the hose, is it easy to run a new one? I’ll be up there Thursday and Friday to check it out.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The deck drains that I have previously wrestled with were a ribbed hose that looks like vacuum cleaner hose. Access was difficult so we did a repair with silicone "Rescue" tape. It worked very well.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    The deck drains that I have previously wrestled with were a ribbed hose that looks like vacuum cleaner hose. Access was difficult so we did a repair with silicone "Rescue" tape. It worked very well.
    Thanks Eric, I’ll let you all know what I find and the outcome.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I wanted to bring everybody up-to-date on my so called water leak. After checking the head pump to make sure it wasn’t spraying water straight up underneath the bunk. I then fired up the starboard engine and ran it for 10 minutes to see if there was any pressure being built up that would spray straight up and get the mattress wet. I then ran water down the gunnel to the drain for about 10 minutes. Not one drop anywhere inside the boat. It turns out it is all due to condensation. I cleaned everything up and will install a vapor barrier under the mattress to allow airflow and get the mattress to breathe. This turns out to be one of the cheapest fixes I’ve ever had.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I wanted to bring everybody up-to-date on my so called water leak. After checking the head pump to make sure it wasn’t spraying water straight up underneath the bunk. I then fired up the starboard engine and ran it for 10 minutes to see if there was any pressure being built up that would spray straight up and get the mattress wet. I then ran water down the gunnel to the drain for about 10 minutes. Not one drop anywhere inside the boat. It turns out it is all due to condensation. I cleaned everything up and will install a vapor barrier under the mattress to allow airflow and get the mattress to breathe. This turns out to be one of the cheapest fixes I’ve ever had.
    I've had the same problem on a previous boat, and I am sorry I didn't remember it.

Made a few 1x4" slats that sat under the mattress when I was on it, and when I left the boat I would lift the mattress and pull the slats up on the fiddle. This allowed air under there. A vapor barrier doesn't get rid of the moisture.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The PO of our previous boat used Dri Deck panels under the mattresses. I have the same issue on all of our outdoor bench and sun deck pads. I’m going to try the type of mat sold by the foot (Sailorman). Not cheap but I hate the moisture that just sits under the cushions.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

There is a grid you can get that I've seen advertised in SOUNDINGS which deals with this problem- it gets enough air under there that condensation evaporates.

I saw a product called Hypervent advertised at Defender to address this exact issue:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...e+on+Hypervent
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)