Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Fake News Has Found The High Seas!

I love it when people tell me about the waves they have been in. The biggest I have stupidly been in were average 4 to 6 feet, east wind down the length of lake Ontario. It was only a half hour ride with a lot of spray into the fly bridge but nothing over the bow. If that had been my old neighbor with his Wellcraft Portofino the waves would have been 12 feet at least!

Walt Hoover

A bit of a wander on the topic, but the weather we encountered bringing our boat from South Carolina to Virginia in 2019 was a real eye opener for me. Seeing the salon furniture thrown completely to one side of the boat and waves breaking over the bow (not at the same time) certainly gave me a much better idea of what to plan for. I will certainly keep that in mind when planning a davit for the dinghy and how things are secured everywhere both below and above decks. I wouldn't have known otherwise.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I love it when people tell me about the waves they have been in. The biggest I have stupidly been in were average 4 to 6 feet, east wind down the length of lake Ontario. It was only a half hour ride with a lot of spray into the fly bridge but nothing over the bow. If that had been my old neighbor with his Wellcraft Portofino the waves would have been 12 feet at least!

Walt Hoover
    Probably 1-1/2 to 2', right? Just kid'n. Really, just kidding.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Probably 1-1/2 to 2', right? Just kid'n. Really, just kidding.
    Come on, man. Its a Hatteras. They were probably 12 and just felt like 4-6'.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That was a good one!😀
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

One year two of us bringing my 42' sailboat south to Florida from the Chesapeake found ourselves in NW winds 35-40 sustained, just inside the stream abeam Jax. The water was green, poop green not Caribbean green. There was occasional foam flying and there were secondary white caps running down the swells. I'm gonna say they were 15'.....

With a double reefed main and a sliver of jib we were surfing down the back sides hitting 14-15kts over the ground. The below decks 1 ton hydraulic autopilot was frequently running out of oomph which then had us hand steering. It was VERY lively but dry. We covered the last 200 miles in just over 24 hours. First and last time I ever got that out of that boat.

I have video tape (yes) somewhere..... gotta find that and stuff it in a computer. You can actually see it was rough. And if you can see it on the screen/photo you KNOW it was rough.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Every one said I was under estimating the height, you have to do that so no one freaks out. One time before that I was leaving the Old Welland canal which runs about 2 knots north bound and it was hitting a 15 knot south wind. when I got to the mouth of the canal the water was standing up like razor blades. Every one on the bridge was soaked to the skin from spray, two friends sitting in the cockpit never spilled their drinks and the cigars never went out. Not that's a Hatteras!

Doesn't everything look bigger on a Wellcraft or SeaRay, I'm sure it says that in the adds somewhere!

Walt Hoover

I wish I had marked the YouTube video some guy posted on a Sea Ray Facebook group of his 46 in “10 to 12 footers” on Lake Michigan as I recall. They might have been 3-4’s at best. It was hilarious. Maybe I’ll see if I can find it.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    And if you can see it on the screen/photo you KNOW it was rough.
    And if you can actually take video while running the boat, it might not be that rough.

That was certainly the case last winter in that 46C on the Chesapeake heading into 25 knot north winds in 20 degree temps. I had actually taken some video before the really rough stuff found us, and the boat was on AP. Then it was AP off, both hands on the wheel and standing vs sitting. I’ve been in taller waves, but none that were that steep and stacked. When you break an engine mount running hull speed or less, you KNOW it was rough.

I still think that was due to a failure to properly tighten everything after a transmission R & R, but it was brutal.

https://youtu.be/Z-hBtGVBY5c
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

NOT a big wave story but a few years ago, I was nothbound on Lake St.Clair heading to the St.Clair River from the Detroit River in reported 20-25 kts winds from the north. Short sharp waves; nothing intimidatin
    g but getting a lot of spray up on the bridge of our 43 C. I was focussed on the channel trying to maintain course but looked to my left. My wife was absolutely drenched!! It looked like someone had literally doused her with a few buckets of water. Guess it was a NE wind.
    BIG waves between Martinique and St.Lucia and leaving the Turks bank headed for Big Sand Cay but those were swells so don't count.