Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bay Springs Marina Collapse

A friend owns this Marina in New Site, Mississippi.. near Iuca.. It has collapsed due to snow load. Believe or not... there is a Extended Deckhouse 53 in this picture. Please keep Chris Mills and family in your prayers. I believe that is a gulfstar in front and Chris's Hatteras, I believe was on the other end.
    Attached Images

Re: Bay Springs Marina Collapse

That stinks. I hope your friend does okay. How is your marina doing?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    That stinks. I hope your friend does okay. How is your marina doing?
    East Tennessee dodged all of this! West Tennessee got hammered. Chris got all the livaboards off before the collapse. I hesitate to call him right now. Another friend's boat is also in the picture... a houseboat. Bay Springs is one of the few Marina's on the TennTom and is a great stopping place.

Looks like a Carver Aft Cabin in front.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

5. Re: Bay Springs Marina Collapse

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    A friend owns this Marina in New Site, Mississippi.. near Iuca.. It has collapsed due to snow load. Believe or not... there is a Extended Deckhouse 53 in this picture. Please keep Chris Mills and family in your prayers. I believe that is a gulfstar in front and Chris's Hatteras, I believe was on the other end.
    I remember a bottom paint that was used on high performance boats that felt like rubber to the touch, but as soon as water touched it, it became super slick and water would slough off of it. I wonder if it would do any good with snow? They certainly need something to stop snow from accumulating.
    Last edited by Retired1; 02-21-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Looks like a Carver Aft Cabin in front.
    Was a Carver is probably more accurate!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    They certainly need something to stop snow from accumulating.
    Sprayer system with glycol..... Like they spray on airplane wings. Or they could just build it right. Looking at 10 sheds just like it from where I'm sitting and they are just fine.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Sprayer system with glycol..... Like they spray on airplane wings. Or they could just build it right. Looking at 10 sheds just like it from where I'm sitting and they are just fine.
    No offense, but it amazes me how many dock engineers comment on such things as marina construction in the south.

I definitely hate to see that happen as that's always a favorite stopping point. As I'm sure was the case with anyone and everyone associated with that marina, they never expected to see those slips come down like that.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    I remember a bottom paint that was used on high performance boats that felt like rubber to the touch, but as soon as water touched it, it became super slick and water would slough off of it. I wonder if it would do any good with snow? They certainly need something to stop snow from accumulating.
    I'm sure that ice did those in as was the case with other slips in areas that very rarely see significant accumulations of snow. Start with rain, then a quick, deep freeze to glaze things, then more ice, then snow.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Would more angle on the roofs help?
    Always thought all roofs that could be snowed on were steep.

Here in Florida, we mostly deal with volcanoes, earth quakes, man eating lizards & snakes, 'canes & yankee drivers.
    Been spoiled in avoiding snow storms.